1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Toyota Prius v Pushed to Later in Fall

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Danny, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ahhhh, remember the days when the 2012 Prius v was supposed to launch in "late summer"? Following the Japanese earthquake and Japan's insatiable hunger to buy the Prius v (or Alpha, as it is called in Japan), the Prius v was then pushed for an American launch in the Fall of 2011. Well, from what I am hearing from my Toyota dealer contacts, deliveries of the 2012 Prius v have now been pushed to begin in November 2011. Toyota is holding on to their goal of a "Fall 2011" launch, but they are quickly running out of months in the Fall to deliver the car. Whether you view this as a delay or not (I do), this news is a downer for those of us who are waiting for the Prius v to hit the market and fill a need for growing families. Is anyone else bummed out by this news, or were you expecting it? Looking for something to do until November? Check out PriusChat's 2012 Prius v In-Depth Review and First Drive.

1 person likes this.
  2. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was hoping to hear some news about the V and looking forward to actually sitting in one and seeing just how roomy they are. I guess waiting another month won't be too bad but hopefully no more delays.:(

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Whatever the Plug In release date was 'supposed to be', I hope this doesn't mean that too will be pushed back. If the plug in gets pushed back too far into 2012, they may as well sell it as a 2013 similar to the 2010 being sold as a 2010 in May 2009.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since that's a normal time for new model years to become available anyway, it shouldn't be that big of a deal... especially acknowledging the disasters in Japan and the recent economic rollercoaster ride.

5. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess I will have to continue to wait. At least there is some information out there. Toyota has a habit of selling vaporware about a year out, and then not having ANY updates EVER. Just a release with the usual Toyota lack of advertising.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Either it's conflicting with another vehicle launch or they don't have enough stock because there's too many Prius Alpha demand.

7. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No ships have left Toyohashi for the US or Europe since the 9th of Aug and only 6 in total this month. Why?

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prius Alpha demand is high and production still has to catch up on Prius demand.

9. green4u

green4u New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is prius demand still high? There are 40 at my local delaership.

10. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Prius v WAGON delayed till November

I've been steadily taking orders for this new Prius v (wagon) coming. It's delayed now till November. I don't know why, but on a strictly personal level, I am hoping that it's due to the need for a name change LOL! I'm still surprised they are using the v or V insignia when we already have a package five 5 v whatever... and the confusion is going to be a pain.

Have many details, no pricing yet. Taking orders as placeholders and my early orderers get a discount!

:)

11. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: Prius v WAGON delayed till November

My theory is that this five-V confusion is due to a cultural oversight regarding the Roman numeral. This gives me pause because Toyota, as a worldwide enterprise, supposedly used the unintended acceleration SNAFU as a learning experience of how to effectively communicate across the corporation. This confusion indicates that either some group is not listening or other groups are not talking - either due to lack of skill or fear.

12. Fastronaut

Fastronaut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

November? Say it ain't so :(

13. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A

I had fun time once trying to search the net for Prius v :(

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

"Prius v" crossover ;)

15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Cultural oversight? More like dumb Americans who don't know their Roman numeral. They say two for II, three for III, four for IV but "vee" for V? Makes no sense and clearly a sign of stupidity.

16. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Instead of picking V for versatile, maybe they should have used the dreaded W for wagon. At least we know they didn't pick V for velocity, like the Cadillac CTS-V wagon.

17. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

The problem isn't in how we say it, but in how we spell it. Prius V is virtually indistinguishable from Prius v. Especially with search engines which ignore case.

18. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

While V may be indistinguishable from v, it's clearly not in the context of I, II, III and IV, yet people are calling even the 2010 Prius V "vee" rather than "five." Case in point, the vast majority of customers call the Mac X operating system "ex" when it's more properly "ten."

Someone mentioned in another thread that their dealer told them they're not getting the II but the Two :rolleyes: Clearly, people are just dumb.

19. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

B4 U criticize, you need 2 understand. Don't be a playa h8r. Its the way language is used, and those at Toyota marketing just didn't get it.

fo shizzle:D

20. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Re: Prius v WAGON

First off, no whiners because the car is delayed. :)
    That's just silly. Anything having is worth the wait. And, knowing Toyota's relentless and applaudable pursuit of "perfection", they have good reason to delay. Not knowing why it's out in Nov as opposed to some other month sooner just isn't relevant.

Second, we went thru this same "name" confusion a decade ago when Toyota had a 4Runner model package with a hood scoop in black or green (talkin' late 90's) called the Highlander package. In 2001, they decided to produce a car like SUV (sort of a lower end RX300) and named it Highlander. That was very weird at that time too, but we lived. We'll live thru this too.

I'm of the mind that as the years go by, and cool car names get taken, we're all but left with combinations of letters and numbers after a while!

I will just keep referring to this car as the V Wagon to keep it simple, for now.

Dianne