1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Trim four 150,000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Magill, Nov 17, 2019.

?
  1. 2012 Prius 4 - 150k miles

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. 2015 Subaru Forester - 58k miles

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Magill

Magill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi we are looking at a new car and trying to determine which car we should sell....

2012 Prius Trim 4 - 150,000 miles regularly maintained, runs great only concern is the high miles

or

2015 Subaru Forester - 58,000 miles regularly maintained and runs great too, concern is it's not as fuel effecient of course

The Subaru has a much higher trade in value, I'm inclined to sell that one and try to get another 50,000 miles out of the Prius.... just concerned if it's realistic to expect another 50k trouble free miles.

Thinking about taking the Prius to a dealership to assess just concerned they will just try to sell me service we don't need....

Thoughts? Advice appreciated. Thanks

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well these 2 cars you have are not the same. It comes down to what New car you are planning to buy and what would fit into your lifestyle.

If you travel and put on a lot of miles, the Prius would be the car more suitable. But if you don't plan to drive that much and like the extra room, the Forester will probably be better. So if your new car is a big SUV type, then keep the Prius. If your next car is a sports car, maybe keep the Forester for the extra room.

As for the reliability of the 2012, it probably will eventually develop an issue with a clogging EGR system that will eventually lead to a head gasket failure. That often happens at the higher mileage, above 150k miles. A head gasket repair will run you maybe $3000+. Not every car gets this problem, but a good percentage does develop this issue at the higher mileage marks. Taking this car to the dealer and ask if there's anything wrong with it? It's no different that signing over a blank check as they often find many "maintenance" items that will be in the thousands, even though your car is running perfectly

I don't know of the reliablity of the Subaru, but the mileage is fairly low where you shouldn't have any issues for another 50,000 miles.

3. Magill

Magill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks JC91006

The new car will be the Tesla 3 and would be the primary regular car, so the Prius or Forester would be more of a secondary car for the family. As far a passenger room the two cars are actually comparable, storage the Forester is better but for our needs the Prius is probably sufficient. Good to know a clog EGR is something to look for. If I take the Prius to knowledgeable mechanic is this something that can be easily accessed or can preventive maintainance be done to prevent issues, or is it one of those things that happens without the ability to track.

Appreciate your insight.

Jennifer

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are no definitive findings that prove the EGR is responsible for the head gasket failures, just something that we all have a high confidence is the leading cause.

If you want to get that EGR circuit cleaned out and do a proper 150k maintenance, replacing fluids, plugs, the works, it'll probably get you another 50k miles of reliable service.

A shop that I recommend would be the hybrid pit in Buena park. 2 of our enthusiasts members own that shop and they know their way around the prius.

dig4dirt and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you want environmental efficiency, buy the prius. but with 150k, it likely won't save money.

if you want reliability, buy the subie

6. Magill

Magill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Bisco, we actually own both the Prius and the Subaru... we are trying to figure out which of them to trade in when we buy our next car (Tesla 3)

Thanks for the shop recommendation JC91006

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, senior moment. if you feel like the prius is a keeper, and you no longer need any of the sunny attributes, keep the prius.
    but with a model 3, maybe the subir=e will come in handy from time to time

8. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2012 Prius trim 4, running on 203k miles trouble free. I like the gas saving part since California gas price keeps climbing. I’d sell the Subaru since it’s low mileage and has value. The Prius still holds its value too but might as well drive it till it’s run down to get your moneys worth on it.

Raytheeagle and mikey_t like this.
  9. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm curious, what was your maintenance schedule? Like did you change oil every 5k miles from the start, install OCC, clean EGR early on? Did you follow the Toyota schedule or did you do anything extra, or early or later?

10. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oil changed every 10k miles, my engine burns 1 qt every 5k miles and it’s normal for engines to burn a little bit of oil.

I did all the fluid changes on their scheduled maintenance besides the trans fluid, which I waited too long, I added 170k miles on the odometer (30k miles was the first change) before I changed it.

Filters been changed regularly, spark plugs changed at their scheduled intervals. Cleaned all the required area that was needed (all on our YouTube channel).

I didn’t do anything out of the normal, I’m still running on oem brake rotors and pads, but I can start to feel a small vibration in the brakes. I’ll change that out maybe later on.

RMB, Mendel Leisk and mikey_t like this.