1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. priusseaglass2

priusseaglass2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2022 Prius Limited has finally arrived! So I prepared my 2012 Prius 2 for sale. Take out the CB which was plugged into the power outlet in area under the shifter. Removed coax that was just strung along where carpet meets dash molding and then ran over to and out grommet for wires that go to door . It then ran up to antenna mounted off bracket by hood hinge area. So removing that should not have caused any electrical issues unless something would be so easily bumped by removing the coax in that route . Vacuumed car front to back. Took out spare tire and put air in . Wiped down whole trunk storage area. Don't think I hit any plugs. Cleaned light layer of dust off start battery.
    Next morning I jump in car to head to dealer to pick up my new Prius. Push start button and Check Hybrid System Stop in safe place message appears. In searching the best I could on this forum I find where that message has happened to cars in motion, but mine was just sitting in the garage overnight. I checked the start battery which tested at 12.32 volts and had supposedly just been check by the dealer when the car was there last week for a new rear hub assembly in their free inspection of the car. I've checked all the fusses. Charged the battery anyway, 12.78 after, even tried starting the car with the charger on for a boost maybe. Took negative cable off to reset things maybe, no luck. If it was the Hybrid fan others have posted about won't that be when the car was moving, how would the car know sitting overnight that the fan needed cleaning. I hope to check that tomorrow anyway. I don't want to put a bunch of money in a car that I was going to sell. If it's the invertor others have posted about would it die while just sitting? Any chance Toyota would hold to their updated warranty notice they sent me that the invertor is warranted for 15 years regardless of miles? My car has 301800 fairly carefree miles. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check for codes.

do you mean “trade in”?

that’s a lot, curious if you cleaned the intake and EGR.

Grit likes this.
  3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    BAM!!!

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    get the dtc codes or it just a guessing game for both you and us.
    My guess it the high voltage battery
    Orange Safety Plug
    is not pushed down into it's third / final position

bisco and Tombukt2 like this.
  5. priusseaglass2

priusseaglass2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks vvillovv,
    It was the battery plug like you guessed. Not sure how it got partially unplugged.

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    the clue I used to make my guess was your wiping down the whole trunk storage area and taking out the spare tire. I'm still really surprised the safety plug was the issue. I figured it might be a good place to start since you'd already been in that area. And thanks for confirming that you were able to get your prius going again.

7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I found the Dr Kelly - Weber University - Automotive school, deep dive into the gen 3 Traction Pack, this morning. First time viewing this video for me.
    12 minutes in, Dr Kelly describes the High Voltage interlock system, which is part of the Orange Safety Plug.
    youtu.be/utDVUNUC474?t=744
    Earlier in the video it's easy to see how just wiping out the spare tire area, it might be possible to tap on that safety plug without realizing it.
    youtu.be/utDVUNUC474?t=241