1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[?] 2012 turn off DRL (Canadian Prius)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by grush, Sep 17, 2016.

1. grush

grush Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello, I am driving coast to coast and want to sleep in the prius with AC/Heater, however, it looks like I can't turn off DRL.
    Is there a way to disable it for the night and turn it back on before driving?

Cheers

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The American Prius version of DRL doesn't turn on when the ignition is turned on. Instead, it waits until the car is put into gear and the parking brake is released. But when shutting down, the DRL is not turned off by putting the car in Park and setting the brake. I.e. when reaching a sleeping location, I can turn off my DRLs by shutting down the ignition, then restarting. (But then, American Prii can also simply turn a switch to turn off DRLs.)

Is the Canadian version different, turning on the DRLs immediately with the ignition, as does my Subaru?

#2 fuzzy1, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, Canadian DRL's have no switch, driving without headlights on, the DRL are on.

@grush When do the DRL's come on, right at start up, or maybe not until you shift out of Park, or similar?

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Turn the car off. Apply the parking brake. Turn the car back on. The DRLs will be off until the parking brake is released.

5. grush

grush Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    THANK YOU! Now I don't have to sleep with mosquitoes, actually because of temperature dips I can sleep with an open roof and a net and a warm sleeping bag.
    Glamping at its finest!