1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) Three Smart Key Problem

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Flogi, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Flogi

Flogi New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Smart key fobs do not work in touch mode.

Replaced batteries in both fobs.

Both fobs start the car and lock,unlock and alarm sounds when buttons pushed.

BUT... touching the lock slot on the door or trying to unlock the door by touch does not work.

Anybody else had this problem?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you may want to test your 12 volt battery. i think there's an ska shutoff in the programming, but i would think that would not allow you to start the car. check the o/m.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't there some way to "reset" the fobs when they lose communication? I seem to remember seeing that in the manual somewhere. They should have a slow blinking LED when they are in contact with the car.

4. Flogi

Flogi New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Can't find it in my manual anywhere. My fobs don't have any LED that I can find.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you buy the car new? when did the fobs sks stop working?

6. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You might want to check under your vehicle settings just to make sure something didn't get changed. I believe they are under Setup->Vehicle->Vehicle Customization on the touch screen.

If you don't find anything in there that fixes it, you might have the dealer check next time you are in. There are additional settings they have access to. Something may have just gotten flipped or reset.

FWIW unless its different than the '13 v3, there should be a small red LED just off the top left of the lock button that lights when you press the buttons. On the Gen2 at least the LED is a good indicator of the FOB battery health, as the LED gets too dim to see before the fob stops working.

Rob

7. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes they do. Look for a little hole above the lock button, that's the LED. I think there may be different blink codes for different situations, but if you push the lock button it should flash. If not either the battery is bad or its busted. I can't remember where this stuff is at in the manual, but its there. Maybe in the section where it talks about replacing batteries.

8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Just checked my '12 v fob..

I just went to my garage. Locked the car from 5 feet away with the key fob lock button and the LED in the hole flashed. Walked back into the house maybe 30 feet away through a metal door to unlink the fob from the car sensor. When I went back into the garage and got to within 5 feet of the car I got a very short LED flash. I then grabbed the handle and the handle unlocked the drivers door.

Just so you have a base line of how it is supposed to work.

'12 v three

9. AMP

AMP April 2012

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just got finished changing the battery in my fob for my 2012 v (lowercase v for the Prius v, not an uppercase v) Three. The battery by the way is a CR 1632. I was surprised that mine went dead, when my wife's gets used way more.

Good advice to buy 2 batteries when you do it.

10. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Are you just touching the slot and/or the handle ?
    To unlock you have to grasp the handle, I believe the unlock sensor is on the back of the handle, to lock you touch the top or bottom of the handle (or both) all this without gloves on.