1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 V over-revving off throttle and running rough ???

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by TruSound, Sep 9, 2016.

1. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm looking for help in determining what would cause my 2012 V to run rough off idle as well as over-revving and not shutting off when stationary, it's done this about 6 times over the last few months…It'll run fine all day but once in a while when I come back to the car after an hour or so these symptoms will appear, the fully warmed ICE won't shut off when the vehicle is stationary, big hesitation off idle when accelerating and then over-revs when u back off the throttle…no AC running on a 85 degree summer day and in the morning it'll run like it never happened.

I hesitate taking it to any of my horrible dealerships for reasons I don't need to explain, they'll be useless until it throws a code anyway. I did a brief search here looking for answers but didn't find much, any feedback is much appreciated…

2012 V
    45K miles
    Mobil 1 every 10K

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    12v battery?

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do you buy top tier gas, or whatever is available when you need to fill up? Ever use any fuel injector cleaners?

jwaasdorp likes this.
  4. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I would check for a code or two when it messes up. Eng elex uses many sensors to determine how to operate ICE, etc. My guess is one of those sensors is not working properly (eg water temp or air inlet temp or hsd temp or other) which makes the elex think something is not warmed up enough. Perhaps a code might steer you in a direction. If not, I would identify each sensor and look for dirty/corroded/oxidized connections and clean, etc. If none of this helps the youll likely have to take it in for exam.