1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 vs. 2014? Prius v ( lowercase v for the Prius v wagon )

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Nancyalto, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Nancyalto

Nancyalto New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    my husband and I are looking at 2 Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon. Only 2020 Prius used uppercase Roman numerals for model designation)'s. One is 2012 with 45,000 miles. The other is a 2014 with 30,000 miles but comes with the certified warranty. $3000 difference in price. Would it be worth,it to spend the extra bucks? Are the 2014's significantly better in some way than 2012? My husband is a little wary of buying a 5 year old car.

#1 Nancyalto, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's little difference between the 2012 and 2014 as the actual changes were made for 2015 (updated bumpers, lights, interior, screen graphics etc).

What does the certified warranty entail? Aside from the newer vehicle and lower mileage, does the $3,000 also buy peace of mind by way of that warranty?

3. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think there is a difference in Insurance company crash test results; '14 has improved off center frontal crash results....

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    unless the 3k is a major investment for you, i would go with the 2014. you'll get it back at the other end.
    that being said, my 2012 lift back with 50,000 miles is like brand new.

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The offset frontal crash change was in 2015 models. 2012 and 2014 are awfully close to the same wagon.

Are they the same Model (Two, Three, Four, Five with and without ATP) with the same options.

A 2012 may have tires that much closer to age related retirement. The tire pressure monitoring sensors in the tires may be that much closer to needing new batteries. It will have a shorter number of years of hybrid battery warranty. Its GPS maps may be that much more out of date.

The v is awfully reliable.

Do either of the cars have service records? What do they tell you about the oil change intervals, unusual service requests? Recall status?

My 2012 (sample quantity 1 warning) has been wonderful for 38k miles and really needs nothing I can predict for several years out other than tires (I'll replace them because of age and not wear). Reading this forum for 5 years has led me to think that my experience is pretty typical. There are, of course, exceptions. Consumer Reports rates it very reliable.

My v has received one recall for a software update, windshield wipers and a GPS software and map update.

My v is the second Prius in the family (first is at a trouble free 140k+) and there is now another v (bought used).

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Prius that was 5 years old.

Who is behind the warranty? What is their financial stability? What does the warranty cover (read the contract, not the sales literature)?

Most extended warranties enrich the sales people. Most extended warranties pay out around 30% of the cost in covered repairs. I self insure the things I can afford to cover out of my assets (not the car and personal liability and not home) and I figure any mechanical failure is something I will be able to cover.

I presume you have looked on kbb.com and seen what typical cars of this vintage and mileage are being bought for.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  6. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four

I would hold out for a 2015 as this year has the five star rating for offset crashes and also the upgraded front suspension. While has much better road feel and control.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Sooner Al likes this.
  7. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think there is a difference......That's what I get for "thinking"...thanks for setting things straight...

8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    And if you want to get into the "too much information" area of reading about the 2012 through 2014 Prius v wagons from someone who has been collecting comments from the first availability of the v, then go here.

Warning, 60+ good and bad items/opinions are described/discussed. Don't over-interpret the bad. It is as honest as I can make it. (My daughter-in-law read it and knew of my like for the car and went and bought a used v.) Every car has problems and the v's "good" far outweigh the "bad" for most people, most circumstances, most uses. No car is perfect least of all one that can now be had in the mid teens. Just make sure its strengths match up with your wants/needs.