1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 with Service Hybrid System warning

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by IndianaJim, Mar 3, 2022.

1. IndianaJim

IndianaJim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all.
    Hopefully someone can help enlighten me.
    Our 2012 Prius had the Service Hybrid System message on Monday. Wife was sitting in the driveway when it happened. Car was recently started. She isn’t sure if the engine was running or not.
    Car has 174,xxx on it, but has no issues.
    Or didn’t until this anyway.

Several codes retrieved.
    C2315 HV System
    U0146 Lost communication with gateway A
    U0073 Control Module Communication Bus A Off
    U0123 Lost Communication with yaw rate sensor module
    U0124 Lost communication with lateral acceleration sensor module
    U0126 list communication with steering angle sensor
    U0293 lost communication with hybrid/ev powertrain control module
    U0100 lost communication with ECM/PCM A
    U0129 lost communication with brake system control module
    U0131 lost communication with power steering control module
    U0151 lost communication with restraints control module
    U0142 mainbody ECU communication circuit
    U0155 lost communication with instrument panel cluster control module
    U0140 lost communication with body control module
    U1107 lost communication with power management module
    B126A remote engine starter ECU communication stop

She had been driving off and on for a few hours by this time.
    Car eventually started up and ran fine, except it displayed the errors.
    I scanned it and cleared codes, and it seemed fine. I replaced the 12v battery, as it was original and showed reduced capacity, and I’d seen non hybrid vehicles show similar “lost communication” errors when batteries are weak.
    Today it did it again. She’s put several hundred miles on it without issue until now.

Could this be related to the recall about the inverter software update? We didn’t know about it until I started looking into the issue and saw something about it. It’s actually scheduled for that tomorrow, so I’d assume they will check it over. I was hoping someone could at least tell me what to expect, though what’s going on with mine seems very different from other inverter or hybrid battery issues I’ve read about.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a good time for the dealer to check your car for Free during the recall. They should be able to locate the problem and tell you how much it'll cost to fix it.

There shouldn't be a diagnostic fee because you're already there for a recall

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Check the new 12v battery voltage

4. IndianaJim

IndianaJim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dealer did the software (firmware?)update and says that should take care of it.
    But if we have the issue again, bring it back.
    No kidding? Lol.
    Im hopeful this will take care of it, but they didn’t seem too knowledgeable about it, so I have my doubts too.
    Time will tell.

Battery is new, and I don’t install a battery without checking it first. I’ve had more than one that wasn’t good right off the bat.

bisco likes this.
  5. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Battery is good but with a parasitic drain it doesn't matter

6. IndianaJim

IndianaJim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, it isnt taken care of.
    All codes back, and this time my wife had a loss of power.
    Took it back today and they called and said we had an intake leak, per one of the codes.
    The code in question is, according to my pre-dealership trip scan, and their scan, P0304.
    Cylinder 4 Misfire detected.
    They claim we asked them to diagnose it, which I denied. I said I asked them to find out why the recall reprogram didnt take care of the issues from the previous visit, all the codes, and "service hybrid system" warning we were getting.
    The service manager then told me most of the same information.
    I asked about the inverter, and she was clueless. I then mentioned that many times when the inverter is already damaged, the reprogram wont do anything, and did they check that? Again, clueless.
    She now wants to check into some things with that particular recall and get back to us.

Im not saying with 100% certainty that the inverter is the issue, but since its the reason for the recall, why would you not check it to verify that it was most definitely NOT the issue?

Good grief. Why is it so hard to find a good dealership?

On top of that, I can no longer look up the recall number, as they reported it fixed so Toyota doesnt show it when I enter the VIN anymore. I suppose I can find it with a google search.

My wife asked me a good question after I got off the phone.
    She wondered what would happen if she was alone, had no idea about cars, and took them at their word on this, paid the $1000 for the intake gasket replacement, then the problems came back. I said I guess youd keep taking it back until they finally figured it out.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are most likely facing a Head Gasket problem. Always starts with a misfire and possibly losing coolant.

8. IndianaJim

IndianaJim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So are we ignoring all the other codes about lost communication with other modules then?

It uses no coolant, so it seems unlikely its a head gasket issue, because if it were leaking enough coolant in the cylinder to cause a misfire, Id notice the level dropping with all the miles that are put on it in a month, and if it were pressurizing the coolant, basically the opposite of a leak into the cylinder, the pressure would be pushing coolant out, and again, Id notice the level change, if not the leak.
    Is it that? I suppose however unlikely, its possible, but thats not whats causing the multiple codes about lost communication that started this whole thing.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was just going to ask for an updated list of the currently-showing codes.

Sometimes when somebody posts "all codes back", not every reader is going to scroll back to see just what all the original codes were. (Also, there are other times when somebody posts "all codes back", and then turns out to not mean quite exactly the same set of codes, on a closer look.) So it's often just easier to list the codes out and avoid possible confusion.

IndianaJim likes this.
  10. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If they tell you "this" is the problem and "this" will fix it and you have the work done,
    and it does NOT fix it, you do NOT pay for it!

11. IndianaJim

IndianaJim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First off, to all who are following this, offering advice, etc, thank you, and my apologies if I come across as short or snarky or whatever. That’s not my intention at all, just trying to sort this out as I have almost zero faith in the dealer to get it right and am very frustrated with that.
    I wish I had another dealer close, but next one is over an hour away, though at this point I almost wish I’d have taken it there. Then again I could run into the exact same thing there.

Yes, it would be helpful to be more specific, and I will add them all. A few are different, but the number and type are similar. I suppose in my haste and frustration I was too quick and too vague which may have been (was) misleading.
    Current codes as of yesterday.
    * indicates new or different code from previous posted scan.

*P0304. Cylinder 4 misfire
    U0146 lost communication with gateway A
    U0129 lost communication with brake system control module
    U0100 lost communication with ECM/pcm A
    U0131 list communication with power steering control module
    U0151 list communication with restraints control module
    U0142 mainbody ecu communication circuit
    U0155 lost communication with instrument panel cluster (ipc) control module
    U0073 control module communication bus A off
    U0140 lost communication with body control module
    U0293 lost communication with hybrid/ev powertrain control module
    U1107 lost communication with powertrain management module
    B126A remote starter ecu communication stop

Codes from last scan not present now:
    C2315 HV System
    U0073 control module communication bus A off
    U0123 lost communication with yaw rate sensor module
    U0124 lost communication with lateral acceleration sensor module
    U0126 lost communication with steering angle sensor module

#11 IndianaJim, Mar 18, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  12. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You do not have the codes needed for the inverter to be replaced.

You have a misfire code and that could be a bad spark plug or ignition coil.

Could also be a clogged fuel injector.

All the other codes starting with U are possibly related to the weak battery you had.

13. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't worry about it. It's "chat". People will read into a statement how they want.
    It's almost impossible to show expressions or tone "typing".
    And it's gets fustrating, and you vent. Welcome to life! (y)

14. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All those "Lost Communication" codes because the #4 cylinder is misfiring?
    It makes no sense to me.

Did you use The Techstream software to retrieve those codes?

15. IndianaJim

IndianaJim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So the weak battery was replaced, codes cleared, then all lights came back on, along with “service hybrid system” message a week and a half after replacement, and a week after Toyotas update, and it’s still related to the old battery that’s not there?
    How is that possible?

Same here on the misfire.
    I’m not concerned about the misfire. If it’s unrelated to the other codes coming and going, it’s an easy fix.
    The random codes are the big concern here.

No on Techstream, used my BlueDriver twice, which are codes displayed here, and Snap On Zeus scanner once. Since it came up with the same, I figured it wasn’t necessary for getting codes a second time.

Apparently everyone is at a loss on this, which really stinks, because we really can’t be down a vehicle too long, and it’s been stone reliable to this point.
    Seems like I always end up with the oddball issues.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you can't find a competent dealer or hybrid mechanic, your only resort is diy with tech stream, or sell the car as is.
    personally, i would have a talk with the service manager. sounds like they are just throwing stuff at the wall tosee what sticks, when they should be calling toyota for technical help.

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would check your cabin air filter area, where the ECU is located. Pull the cabin filter out and see if you have signs of rodents being in there. Look around all those wires and see if any rodents have chewed on your wires.

IndianaJim and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are a lot of communication codes being reported, which is likely why people are thinking rodents. It's worth checking for that kind of damage, but of course rodents aren't the only things that cause communication errors.

Because the car uses shared buses between multiple ECUs, it is possible for one problem (in the right place) to cause a bunch of communication errors.

There is a largish section in the repair manual (more info) titled "CAN communication system", and it shows where the various CAN junctions and terminations are, and which ECUs are connected to which bus segments. It also has a lot of troubleshooting suggestions to help you reason from exactly which communication errors are being reported to exactly where the issues might be.

If you are familiar with electronic troubleshooting, it's fairly straightforward work, but can be tedious and you could have to stay at it for a fair span of time. If you're not familiar with that kind of work, it could run into a fair amount of billed time for somebody who is.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ever cleaned the EGR circuit?

Did you get the software update update (for inverter protection), back when it came out? That was in 2014.

D90517F8-22BA-4C3F-A8E1-BF18F8BFEB3A.jpeg

Per @JC91006: could be mice/rats?

20. IndianaJim

IndianaJim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Never cleaned EGR circuit.
    What would this accomplish?

Software update just done by dealer after the first round of lights, service hybrid system warnings, etc. So about 2 weeks ago, which is where my concern for inverter damage comes from, but I’m also not sure that could cause these intermittent issues.

I have repaired a good bit of rodent wire damage, not on this vehicle or any of my own, but at the shop I work at, so that was one of my first thoughts, but nothing damaged that I can see anywhere.

Most times, with either cut wires, or chewed, the problem isn’t intermittent. These communication errors go 3-4 days to a week between incidents.

Mendel Leisk likes this.