1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 1.8l Prius cylinder head gasket replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by donzoh1, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The repair manual says to assess the head bolts, various measurements and checks, and replace only if they're out-of-spec.

2. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’m still curious where you got a Fel Pro number for the head bolts. I work in an auto parts store and I don’t have a listing for them from any of my suppliers. I searched the world over and decided to buy the OE bolts.

I would caution against running a die against the new bolts though. Even if you don’t see it, you could be cutting the diameter down and affecting the ability of the bolt to hold torque.

Robert Holt likes this.
  3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Conceptually, this is similar to measuring rotors for disc thickness variation using a micrometer. In theory it can be done, but in practice, it is better (easier) to replace (or machine) the rotors. This is why most people will recommend replacing the bolts. Eliminating any potential reasons for a comeback are important for a job like this one.

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Fel-Pro ES72434. Rockauto has them for $40.79 + s/h; they’re most likely being shipped from a Parts Authority Warehouse.

MikeFixes, SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I figured out at least part of the coolant/oil mixing problem...sort of by accident. I was getting ready to put the cylinder head back on and I first added coolant directly to the engine block just to have more coolant where it belongs on startup. Immediately, coolant poured from the engine block onto the harmonic balancer. I was not preciously aware of the coolant passage from the block to the water pump and had not put any RTV around that port on the timing chain cover. Coolant had apparently leaked directly into the timing chain cover and into the crankcase. This doesn't account for the compression loss though, and I'm hoping to have that aspect of the problem fixed by tomorrow.

MikeFixes, The Critic and Robert Holt like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well I've changed tons of brake pads, never a rotor, lol. I did check with micrometer and dial gauge, not every time, but enough to get a feel for their wear rate.

I appreciate those bolts are a different category. Still, I think if I was doing it I'd check the bolts against spec., reuse if ok.

7. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’ve changed rotors when I let the pads wear out and scour the rotor surface as the turned down rotors seemed to warp more easily when heat-stressed by hard braking, but otherwise I would agree.
    But on these “torque to yield “ bolts, I just would not trust any head bolt that is already stretched. I’ve had head bolts snap (motorcycle overhaul) and it was a true PITA to get the broken ends out and try to get everything to work again. Never want to do that again, so would buy the OEM bolts and carefully do that torque sequence if this head gasket failure happens to us. (Honestly, if someone sold replacement head bolts that were NOT of the torque-to-yield type, I would far rather attempt to work with those even at the cost of a lot of incremental circuits of torquing the head bolts.)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I put the head back on and did a variation on a leakdown test. Since I don't have the leakdown test kit, I inflated my 2 gallon air tank to 115 psi. Then, I hooked up an air line to a given cylinder with the piston at BDC. Each cylinder was pressurized for 3 minutes. Pressure measured at that point in cylinders 1 thru 4 was 75, 75, 62, and 45 respectively. Then, I added oil to each cylinder and pressures went up to 100, 85, 70, and 78. Curiously, as air leaks from the cylinders, the sound is much louder in the crankcase than in the intake ports. Also, it's kind of a crackling noise. The motor is not level so the rings are sealing at the rear, not at the front. I think I will test again tomorrow with a couple more ounces of oil in each cylinder to verify how much of the compression loss is either head or head gasket.

9. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did the engine have any pre-existing issues prior to this repair?

Is there any reason why you did not send the head to a machine shop for inspection and resurfacing?

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think lead-down test should be on cylinder with piston at Top Dead Center, on the compression stroke. I think that's to ensure all valves are closed? Eric the Car Guy discusses ways to determine if it's on compression stroke here, IIRC.

MikeFixes likes this.
  11. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Head was resurfaced and vacuum tested. Coolant was leaking into cylinder 4 making morning startup rough.

12. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Camshafts are not yet installed so all valves in the motor are closed. Normally, leakdown tests are done with a piston at TDC on compression stroke for the reason you suggested. Camshaft installation will cause some valves to be open at any given crankshaft position.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Got it, so the cylinder head is no longer a variable. When you turned cyl #1 to TDC, were both pistons at the same height? If not, you have bent rods and that may explain your problem.

14. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Please elaborate on how bent rods could contribute to this problem. I did observe 1 and 4 at TDC and 2 and 3 at TDC when the head was off. They moved in those combinations as the crank was rotated and seemed to be right at the top of the cylinder together. I ddin't measure with a straight edge and feeler gauge but maybe that's not a bad idea next time I have the cylinder head off.

I repeated the above outlined leakdown test with pistons at TDC. Cylinders 1 thru 4 are 100, 74, 71, and 68. These results are comparable to the results at BDC. Both of these tests show somewhat higher compression levels than the prior BDC test with no oil on the cylinder walls which points to some ring/cylinder wear. Cylinder 1 lost 15 psi and the other three lost about 45 psi during the 3 minute interval. This is perplexing though as cylinder 1 had the only visible polishing in two areas of the otherwise cross-hatched cylinder walls. Mileage is around 145K.

Listening during the compression leak test, I noticed most of the noise emanating from the crankcase. I could hear a crackling noise in addition to the escaping air which I think was oil bubbling near the piston rings as air was bypassing. If the leak was either valves, cylinder head cracks, or gasket, I would think it would be a whistle or hiss, since there's no oil or coolant in that area yet.

Attached Files:

The Critic likes this.
  15. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    [​IMG]Not sure whether I mentioned this but in addition to the polished cylinder wall sections, piston 1 had white deposits on the valves while the other three had brown or dark gray coloring.

16. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  17. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The photo above is the cylinder head with cylinder 1 being on the right. Exhaust valves in the other cylinders are whitish gray. Any ideas on what the discrepancy in valve color means or whether that's related to the better compression numbers in cylinder 1?

mjoo likes this.
  18. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My thought was that combustion in #1 was incomplete, caused by inadequate misting of a faulty fuel injector. Maybe unrelated to the compression issue?

19. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ooops, broke the wire connections on the plug going from the front/middle of the engine block to the water pump motor. I think this connector tells the water pump when to come on. The broken connection is between a black plug and two wires, one black and one white. I'm considering a dealer or junkyard for this part but am open to other options. Also, if possible I'd like a picture of the connector showing where to connect the white and black wires.

20. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Actually, I think it goes from front of engine block to throttle body or something. The water pump connector has more pins.