1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 1.8l Prius cylinder head gasket replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by donzoh1, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's @Ragingfit's odyssey:

Swapping in a Gen 4 Prius' 2ZR Engine into the Prius v | PriusChat

Prius v is getting the transplant, but it's the same process; he previously did the same transplant with a regular 3rd gen Prius.

2. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Got the Prius back together and drove it a day or two. No warning lights, no funny noises, no smoke, no obvious leaks. My friend drove it and got it up to 100 mph so I'm thinking it's where it needs to be. I'm guessing the compression issue has something to do with the coolant leak that resulted from the root problem in the engine...perhaps from coolant accumulating in a cylinder. It seems that it's close enough to run well, at least for now.

FnRedPrius and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Awesome, I am happy to hear that the car is running again. Do you have any plans to perform another compression test?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not planning any more compression tests. I feel very confident that whatever compression issue remains is lower end, not cylinder head, based on the leakdown test noises and the only way that would be fixed is engine replacement or a complete rebuild.

5. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    will read the entire thread later but what was the outcome did you have a bent rod? where did the coolant end up getting into the oil?

6. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It wound up as a bent rod that eventually broke, resulting in immediate and total ICE failure. The shiny opposing walls of the affected cylinder were symptomatic of that but I didn't realize it before putting the head back on. Coolant was getting into the affected cylinder and while engine cooled after shutdown, coolant would fill the space above the piston. This would be particularly nasty if the piston was moving up on compression at shutdown. As I wrote previously, another indication of the problem was excessive compression in the affected cylinder as well.

MikeFixes and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    “Like” is not the word for it, but thanks for the update.