1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Auris Hybrid Liftback and Sports Tourer Hybrid

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Mister MMT, Sep 29, 2012.

1. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Volvo 245 and Peugeot 505's were often 7 seaters, adhering to several points you mentioned above, but no one ever thought of calling them MPV or mini van. :)

That's my gripe: I'm in a midlife crisis, and people keep changing the rules in the game called life. I'm not flexible enough to handle new spelling, changed nomenclature, governments making the same mistakes, over and over and over again, etc.

Rant over.

If it indeed has 500 liters loadingspace (Audis wagon), it'll be bigger than my Volvo V70 (450l iirc). That I'd like to see... (The Volvo was mainly bought cause it could hold three kiddy-seats, it should be a 'big' car for European standards, but it really isn't as big as you'd think, but an Auris being bigger would still surprise me.)

2. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Auris II Sports Tourer will be smaller in the backseats row. They kept the short wheelbase of the Auris I (2,60 m) and lowered the roof. It has less kneeroom then a Golf. The exact values for the trunkspace have not been announced yet. Could be anything between 450 and 500 l.

Jan

Bibster likes this.
  3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Mister MMT, did you drive new Auris?

And yeah, what you said. Its MPV, while Auris Wagon is .... Wagon :). There is a big difference in looks and execution.

[​IMG]

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Either way, it looks pretty slick. I'm a fan of hatchbacks and wagons/estates, especially if they're able to look as good as the Auris above.

5. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not yet, but I read several reports from people who got theirs delivered in France, Germany and the Netherlands. Satisfaction is general, but some people who tried it, liked it less, because fro them, the interior was too tight and the dash too high. It depends on the driver's morphology and on taste...

I will hopefully test one in early spring, when my Prius 2 is being serviced. I do not intend buying one. I'll keep my P2 for at least 10 more years.

Jan

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i might test it in few days, hopefully... start of sales here is in a week or so.

7. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    I have just test driven the new Auris HSD and I'm quite impressed with both the sound insolation, exterior looks, gadgetry, price and size, while the quality/looks of some parts which are out of normal sight (the seat mounts, lower trunk cover and gauges) show why this car is priced right between the Yaris HSD and Prius/CT200h (Danish pricing).

As a daily CT200h driver I can confirm that there is less sound from the outside when the ICEs runs, while I couldn't tell if the Auris is actually more quiet than the CT from behind the steering wheel. It would not surprise me if it were.

I have only driven the Auris on Winter tires and it handles very similarly to the CT, but I can only make a good comparison once they both stand on Summer tires. I would guess that Auris would not be able to match CT on Summer tires, but I did find the driving characteristics better/more precise than 3rd. gen Prius.

The park assist is extremely easy to use and works even better than in the CT since the Auris comes with the automatic park feature, which I must admit is better at parallel parking than I am ... unless I drive my iQ.

Inside the cabin the materials feel OK. There are soft plastics wherever a car reviewer might touch, but it's nothing which would affect the daily driving and the fabrics do seem more "honest" than the fake leather in my CT. The space inside seems very much the same as in the CT, which translates into a class smaller than Prius.

These are my initial impressions of the car.

Tideland Prius and R-P like this.
  8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

yeah, I dont expect Auris to be better than CT200h (its cheaper), but it sure seems to be a lot nicer car than first Auris.

Major push to sell a lot hybrids in Europe.

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think because some Governments are realising the harm diesel (even so called clean diesel) is doing for air pollution.

A city local to me has even introduced financial incentives for taxi drivers to change to hybrids due to concerns about local air pollution. A gen3 Prius produces 20 times less NOx than a similar 'clean' Euro V diesel and 200 times less than a couple year old Euro IV diesel. Replace one diesel taxi with a Prius and you take 20 cars off the road pollution wise.

10. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's some creative mathematics... :)
    It's taking 1 euroV diesel or 1/10th euroIV or 20 Prii off the road, and who wants to take 20 Prii off the road?:ROFLMAO:

But you did make the difference abundantly clear! You just made me feel like an oilspewing bastard owning a euroIII diesel...

11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Eh?

I think something's been lost in translation somewhere.

12. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1 diesel = 20 Prii. So taking a dirty diesel off the road equals taking 20 (relatively) clean Prii off the road. Why would you want to take 20 'clean' cars off the road? If you had said you can replace 1 dirty diesel with 20 Prii and maintain the same level of pollution, then I would have fullheartedly agreed.

If I am the only one who thinks this is a funny way of comparing, then this is indeed a language thing :D My apologies if I caused any irritation or misunderstanding with my post.

13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol I'm off work with flu at the moment so the old brain isn't running as it should. You know what I meant though :)

14. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Saw a new Auris on the road yesterday. I really thought I was looking at a BMW X1 for a while.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also see some resemblance to the new RAV4.

16. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

thats wagon arse thats not out... not sure how could you think that Auris hatch is an BMW SUV... but good I guess

i managed to get some seat time in mid level spec... it is nice car.. it is really nice on the outside, and good inside (if they fixed 1-2 plastic pieces, could be a lexus).

17. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    The two things that Toyota will keep on doing to spite car reviewers (and make the experience better for the user) is to use a digital clock (easy and precise to read no matter the lighting) and hard plastics (cheap, lighter and easier to clean).

18. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

plastics were of nice softness, i just didnt like the plastic around the screen... everything else was fine.... top of the door is soft for instance, unlike in new Golf... even that big piece of silver plastic on dash is very nice actually, very firm, no creaks.

i was slightly disappointed with that piece but then I realized I am comparing it to my Lexus IS220d, which is 3x more expensive than the Auris I was in :). Still, if they just pained it with different color it would be nice.

Everything else was good and it really looked nice on the outside... so it is pretty funny to read UK reviews that say it is boring car to look at and then they cant get enough of new Golf which looks cheaper on the outside (but better inside).

19. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You'll find most of the UK motoring press eat out of the VW Groups hands. Corruption doesn't cut it.

20. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II

I saw the Auris, thought it was a BMW X1 and then, at home tried to find corresponding pics. There pics were the best to compare arses. Added a new pic from the Toyota website ;)

New try:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I obviously see the difference now, but from a distance, it immediately registered as an X1 in my mind...