1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 c runs perfect but engine stops when put in drive.

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Michael W Davis, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Michael W Davis

Michael W Davis New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    While city driving, the engine suddenly slowed to idle and did not respond to the accelerator pedal, the car slowed to 10 mph and displayed the message: "check hybrid system, stop vehicle in a safe place immediately."

It did not respond when I tried to restart it.

I unplugged the large white wire in the fuse box for 30 seconds and it started and ran perfectly for 2 days.

The next time the problem reoccurred the engine ran for 10 seconds.

Now the engine stops every time it is put in drive.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It is telling to have the hybrid system checked.
    You should DO that.
    Or have a dealer do it.

It is HIGHLY unlikely that anyone reading your message is physic and will magically be able to tell you what is wrong.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the inverter fluid reservoir for movement.

clean the hybrid battery cooling fan. how many miles on her?

4. Michael W Davis

Michael W Davis New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    190,000 miles, w/ no maintenance other than frequent air filters and frequent oil changes.

I'll check the inverter fluid.

I had the car towed to my home, where it seems to be operating normally again.

I will run diagnostics on it for the next few days to see if it identifies an error code that will help me focus on a faulty part.

Thks very much for sharing your ideas.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What do you have to scan for codes? Many budget tools cannot communicate with most systems on a Prius- they'll report "no codes present" even if those ecu's do have codes. You'll want to know that your tool can talk to the hybrid system before you have a fault that shuts the car down.

Minimum would be the Dr Prius app with a compatible OBD2 bluetooth adapter (can pull HV battery data and codes, and engine codes).

Preferred is a copy of Toyota Techstream diagnostic software with a mini VCI cable (from ebay or amazon) installed on an old windows laptop

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.