1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Cold Start Shaking - Head Gasket?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by oldtechaa, Jun 18, 2023.

1. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    See the list in Mendel's signature. The manifold is relatively easy to remove.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted to update with the current situation. The head gasket is totally fine, there haven't been any more cold start rattles (just slightly rough starts but not a full-on misfire), no coolant level drop, no coolant in the oil, etc. The reason I mention coolant in the oil is because I just did the first oil change on this one. Boy did I mess it up! I put the O-ring on the filter canister below the groove instead of in the groove so on the first start it sprayed oil out of the housing. Lesson learned. I think I also overfilled it because I wasn't sure how much needed replacing after redoing the oil filter, but oh well.

I have an oil catch can, just need the nipples and maybe some extra hose, probably this weekend, and then I can install that. Considering the temps here, I may simply install the OCC and not remove the manifold until spring, when busted knuckles are less likely. Then I'll do the EGR too. Probably not a critical thing though, considering the extraordinarily clean state of the EGR pipe.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Overfilled oil can be a problem, if it's overfilled by a lot.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    I know, but it doesn't seem to be causing an issue so far, many have said that 1/2" or so isn't worrisome, and we live on a hill, so it's very hard to get an accurate reading. I might look into it further and check it some time when it's parked for a while on a level surface, but it's not top of my concerns at the moment.

5. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Posting an update a few thousand kms later and now that it's warm enough to do an involved task without busting knuckles: No further evidence of any issues, the oil catch can is installed and working admirably, and we just took the EGR system apart today and cleaned it. It was in excellent shape, with hardly any buildup in the fins, and probably the majority of buildup was just lightly accumulated on the valve plunger. I'm pretty sure we're in good shape for another 160000km at least. We didn't take the intake manifold off, but I did run a pipe cleaner up the EGR tubes and it came out quite clean.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That last picture looks pretty occluded. I'd stick with every 80K kms.

If you’ve not done it, I’d follow through with a full clean of the intake manifold, especially the EGR tributaries, one per port. And clean out those ports, and any PCV goop at bottom. At 160k kms it’d be good to replace all its pliable gaskets; they’re not too much. I picked them up through Amayama, $32~ CDN, all-in with shipping (to west coast Canada).

#26 Mendel Leisk, Jan 28, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2024