1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 CT200H, Coolant service, not much draining, no heat

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jp0013, Feb 27, 2020.

1. jp0013

jp0013 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    What's up guys, so I'm new to this stuff like a lot of us dipping our feet into "cheap" hybrid tech as we begin to see quality cars pop up for not much money.

I bought a 2013 CT200H, 115k, PO seems to have been good with oil changes and has definitely changed the inverter coolant, but the ICE coolant is gross. I don't THINK it's a blown head gasket, but I did buy the car right because the heat is barely hot (fluctuates to cold) on the driver side and cold on the passenger side. My first thought was clogged heater core so today I bought some flush and SLLC and proceeded to drain what I perceived to be the original coolant. The other thing is maybe air bubbles, but I've not really seen a reliable method for burping these systems like you could with Gen 2.

I got maybe a half gallon out of the system with the drain valve behind the radiator which is significantly less than what I was expecting. I went ahead and put the flush with water in place of what I was able to drain.

The car doesn't overheat at all. On some very steep (Smoky Mountain) roads, at full throttle, uphill for 30 seconds to a minute or more at a time in Sport mode, I saw temps no higher than about 213 via my scan tool. At idle car stays solid at 190ish. This was with the flush/distilled water combo, so temps will likely be lowered with proper coolant in place.

I'm getting ready to drain the flush and refill the coolant, but after that I really have no idea where to go. Seems like I've read hours on here about all the various symptoms and resolutions but I've not seen this issue of the coolant not draining?

Can anybody shed some light on what I might be doing wrong? Really not looking forward to a dealer visit when I've historically done all my own maintenance.

2. jp0013

jp0013 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Something I just noticed as I continue to wash away the flush is white chalky stuff in the drained distilled water, but I guess this is likely leftover nitrates, at least from what I've read, so maybe no need for alarm there...

Also mods, maybe I posted this in the wrong forum and it needs to be in the troubleshooting section. If so, my bad and thanks for moving.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That might be a head gasket sealer product added by the previous owner. One manufacturer of such a product has recommend a flush with 50/50 mix of white vinegar and distilled water. I would recommend to mix a small amount of such solution, and drop in bits of what you're fiinding, see if it dissolves them. If it does, then flush the engine coolant system with the same mix, then flush with just distilled water to get rid of the vinegar, say at least twice.

To then get back to a 50/50 coolant mix, you would need to use straight coolant plus a percent tester, due to residual distilled water. Toyota Long Life Coolant (not Super Long Life Coolant) comes full-strength, if I'm not mistaken, and while it's not recommended to go as long as Super Long Life (between changes), it is compatible.

The elephant in the room still though: you maybe have a blown head gasket, currently held by stop-leak goop. Better research symptoms, tests, remedies.

And check the intake manifold and Exhaust Gas Recirculation circuit for carbon clogging, which more'n likely are behind the head gasket failure.

jp0013 likes this.
  4. jp0013

jp0013 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tips on testing the bits, I will check all this out with my fingers crossed. I really thought 115000 was too early for a head gasket failure. Even if that's what it is, I guess I still got a decent deal, just not as much of one as I thought!

Thank you again.

Mendel Leisk likes this.