1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Reviews

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Sergiospl, Nov 15, 2012.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it does, but the mpg is still high. MPG uses the odometer not the speedometer, and the mpg error on my car is higher than the speedometer error.

My odometer now reads slightly low. I did the measurements about 2 years ago, and can not remember my exact error. I was using my aftermarket head unit which uses gps distance and actual gallons to calculate mpg. IIRC it was still 1-2 mpg high.

2. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "actual" gallons as reported by the ECU or measured at the pump?

Have you checked the ECU reported "fuel used" against a gas station pump?

3. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I was using miles calculated from gps + speed sensor in my head unit divided by gallons from the pump. I used the head unit to do the calculation. At an individual fill up, there is variation on how full, but on multiple this error gets very small. My head unit doesn't get fuel usage from ecu, so I have no idea if it reports accurately or not.

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Did Ford design the front end at night?

Tracksyde likes this.
  5. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No, but it was designed in Europe.:ROFLMAO:

6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks like there's another car underneath it.

7. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    75-70 mpg average for 200 miles of driving is a result I'd be happy with. The said with partial charge. I'd be able to do full charges on both ends of a 48 mile one way commute.

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I had to watch the beginning of the video twice. For a second there it sounded like he said "it's not just another &%$#@* hybrid".

9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

swallow more what? what are you smoking dude. Cargo is pathetic, i dont car if Ford uses creative thinking when measuring the cargo, it is not good, it is awful. It looks like you get half of the cargo room of normal C-Max, plus it is so high, some people will need to take the stuff over their shoulder to put it in. It is crazy.

It is not family car at all.

Volt gets bashed for small cargo space, but it is a lot deeper than this while being lower car... I would say it is a lot more usable. Nobody loads the car up to the roof like Ford would want you to believe.

[​IMG]

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  10. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    chill bro. You sound like you think it's smaller than the trunk in this
    [​IMG]

Its hard not to think its a little comical how wound up you are. Have you tried putting stuff in one? Its about 8" taller back there according to c&d, and the back seats folded down are low, so space is not as easy to use. Still if you have 3 or less folks there is a huge amount of space.

depends on your family, but no, I think that families that buy a yaris are different then adopters that will buy an energi. You know not all mom's and dad's need a SUV, truck, or minivan. Lots of them whine like you though:)
    Well I haven't been the one bashing the volt, take it up with them. Do you think that bag won't fit in the c-max. You know the energi is less expensive than 2 tires of the car pictured above.

11. PlugInPriusNH

PlugInPriusNH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Including my non-highway driving, the Prius generally indicates on average about 43 miles per hour. On the highway I usually stick to the left lane traffic which is anywhere from 55 to 72mph when not stuck in traffic. I've been getting 55-59mpg with the PIP. Unfortunately as of right now I only plugin at home. I am hoping works get outlets/chargers, but I'm not holding my breath.

austingreen likes this.
  12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to figure that out. I've only been able to make calculations on one tank and it was even further off because the odometer now reads lower. Instead of my usual 4.8-5.8% error I observed an 8.9% error. I could make the corrections for the odometer error and that will bring me back down to my usual error. I need more tank refills to determine the pattern.

13. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2013 Ford C-Max Energi Plug-In Hybrid: First Drive

John Hatchett and austingreen like this.
  14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

well, that would mean it got 30 MPG, which I dont think could be correct?

Does the EV mean literally EV powered vs Hybrid mode, or is it engine shut off time?

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Probably just ICE off time, or at least includes the time just the motors were used during hybrid mode. I think the non-plug C-max gives an EV miles number also.

From the review Sergiospl posted:
    "For buyers who care about where their car is built, the 2013 Ford C-Max Energi is the first plug-in hybrid car built in the United States."

I thought the Volt was the first, or is this the EREV campaign being used against GM?

16. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. EV is counted in the energi whenever the ice is off, It is counted in the volt whenever its in CS mode, I am unsure about the prius phv. YMMV

The key figures though are a likely 7 kwh of electricity and 1 gallon of gas to go 80 miles (66mpge) Some of the plug-in charge was used in hybrid mode, but also the energi effectively uses the large battery to buffer the ice. How well it does depends on the route and driver behaviour. If you want to credit the car with 21 (epa) miles on the battery then in got 59 mpg in CS mode, or you can allow the plug assist and say 62.8 mpg, finally you could ignore the plug power and say 80 mpg gasoline.:) Shorter trips will likely result in a higher mpge and mpg gasoline, but lower cs gasoline fuel economy. Any way you look at it, if you drive like they did in the review you will get great mileage.

The key stuff from the review for me were

I am guessing, and only guessing that the software in the hybrid also utilizes the battery better for the epa test than the energi. The EV+ software, in the energi also makes single trips harder for the software than repeated commutes. It is likely the 41 mpg highway of the energi is the more accurate figure to compare to the prius phv's 49 mpg highway, for long highway trips. This would set the gasoline cross over point of prius phv/c-max energi around 77 miles if its mainly highway. At slower speeds that crossover becomes much higher. I expect that most hypermilers will use very little gasoline in the energi.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I keep seeing the C-Max while driving by and it looks so small. I swear it looks smaller than a GenIII. It's definitely not a pretty car.

18. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Beauty and all that. C-MAX has great, out of the box alloy wheels, something you have spent thousands of dollars and much time fixing on the Prius III.

To me C-MAX ENERGI (same look) main flaw is no sun roof vs. Prius III Plug In. Has a more aggressive and stylish look over all.

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. IMO the wheels on that car are ugly. I spent $1,100 on new wheels and tires. Had I not cared what the wheels looked like I could have spent much less. LOL

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you saying pip has a sun roof?