1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid, and poor FE reason

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by acdii, Dec 5, 2012.

1. acdii

acdii Active Member

45 PSI, holy crap. Wonder what kind of traction he gets in rain.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was running ContiProContacts(51psi sidewall) at 55psi.
    The only slippage in poor weather I had was when tapping the gas a little too hard to start from a stop, on an incline.

44psi is a more common rating for a tire, and it is likely near what the manufacturer tests them at for the traction, wear, and heat rating. While the higher pressure can lead to, not guaranteed, decreased traction, it will improve the wear and heat do to less sidewall flex.

3. acdii

acdii Active Member

The Goodyears are 51 PSI rated, so I have them at 45 right now. Going to Florida tomorrow, so I will have some feedback tomorrow or Monday when I have internet access.

4. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking forward to hearing the Fl story!

5. acdii

acdii Active Member

Well, 36 MPG on the trip down with tires are 45 PSI. 38 on the return trip at 34 PSI. For some odd reason the Goodyear tires are a complete 180 to the LRR tires I have had on all my other cars. Higher PSI returned lower MPG. When I reduced them to spec, the car was more hybrid like in city driving. Still no where NEAR 47 MPG.

To think, I could have got a Focus that got 36 MPG highway, and saved $10,000.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What's the net elevation change between the two points?

7. lennyp

lennyp New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should be getting my 2013 Fusion Hybrid by the end of the week, once my dealer gets in the 18" Michelins to swap out the LS-2s. This was a dealer ordered car, and when I brought up the issue of non-LRR tires, they were quick to try to rectify the situation. I know this was their first Fusion Hybrid coming in with the 18" upgrade and agreed hybrids need the proper tires. Thanks to these forums, I was able to address this before the car was driven.

Hopefully I can provide some data points by the end of the year. I am new to hybrid driving so my initial numbers will probably be low points along with the winter temps and "break-in" period.

KK6PD likes this.
  8. acdii

acdii Active Member

Good shot Lenny!!!! Hopefully yours will get in the 40's. keep us posted please!

9. acdii

acdii Active Member

It is at the dealer now, so, hopefully they will find something. They have another customer who just got a 2013 FFH, but with the 17" wheels, and he was getting about 43 in his 2012 FFH. My dealer will check to see how his is doing and if possible, having him take mine for a spin to see if it is indeed having issues.

Definitely want to get to the bottom of it and get an answer if it is the tires or something else.

10. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Amen Acdii!!!

11. acdii

acdii Active Member

A Rep from Ford has asked for my VIN and dealer information, so finally got the ball rolling. Hopefully will have some news in the next day or two, I didnt make an appointment for my car, so not expecting much to happen today on it.

austingreen likes this.
  12. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Luck!!!

13. acdii

acdii Active Member

I was pretty much told today, dont bother us, the car is getting what it gets. the 47 MPG is only an estimate, and you must be a bad driver. Never mind the fact I meet and exceed epa on my 2010 FFH.

They basically said, dont drive faster than 50 MPH if you want to be in the 40's.

14. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditch the wheels. :(

Get a set of lightweight 17" wheels and Energy Saver A/S tires. Should make Ford pay for it. Bastards. Grrr

austingreen likes this.
  16. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This.

I know you shouldnt have to pay for new tires - Ford should pick up the tab IMHO, but I think you will be happiest if you just go buy a set of 4 of the highest LRR tires and get it over with. Take the 4 tires that are on there and sell them on Craigslist to recoup some of the money. You're just prolonging the misery and resenting the car when you've suspected all along its the tires. Tires are very easily replaceable. Replace them, motor on, and be happy :)

17. acdii

acdii Active Member

Yeah, thats pretty much what Im thinking too. Going to get a set of 17's for about 600, and since my 2010 should get new tires, take the tires off of it and put them on the new rims, and get the car recalibrated. If it turns out the tires are not the problem, well, I have winter rims then, but if it turns out it is the tires, then I will raise cain with Ford.

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Document the poor mileage with receipts and witnessed odometer readings, get new wheels and tires, and repeat the documentation. If better and Ford doesn't reimburse you, take them to small claims court.

sdtundra and F8L like this.
  19. lennyp

lennyp New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I'm having a delay ... since Michelin Energy not available in right size ... may be getting Conti Purecontact as it comes in the right size.

Sorry to hear about Ford's response. Unfortunately EPA estimates are based on most common tire/wheel size, so Ford doesn't have to have a conscious - even though they should.

I also noticed wheel/tires from performance package on eBay already.

20. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wonder why Ford put LRR on some FH's and not on others? Do the cars have different rims?

coach81 likes this.