1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid, and poor FE reason

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by acdii, Dec 5, 2012.

1. acdii

acdii Active Member

Yep, standard rims are 17", with Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires. There is a Premium Luxury wheel package that is an 18" wheel, and comes with Goodyear LS-2 tires.

While the rims look sharp, and the tires actually make the car handle well, it looks like they also have more RR, and can affect the MPG.

I just have to prove it.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Look for someone local on the Fusion forum and see if they would be willing to swap wheels for testing. :)

sdtundra likes this.
  3. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius Envy.... LOL

PriusGuy32 and Adam Leibovitch like this.
  5. lennyp

lennyp New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealer overnighted and swapped the OEM 18" LS-2's with Conti Purecontacts so I picked up my FFH last night. First blush driving a hybrid, my initial trip into work about 14 miles - 30% highway 70% city at 35 degrees came in at over 38 mpg. The tires seemed to roll along nicely. I expect the return trip should do better given the hills.

Added: Return trip was 40.5 mpg and tried adaptive cruise but it never EV'd so turned it off. Just somewhat insignificant premature snapshots, but glad to see 40 and not 30.

6. acdii

acdii Active Member

Envious^^

7. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Grats Lenny

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Any update? 40 MPG in the winter is great. It should go up in the warmer seasons, especially after breaking in.

Camry hybrid should get around 40 MPG as well. It has slightly more power with larger displacement ICE. The accord hybrid is rumored to get 47 MPG. I doubt people will get that in the real-world.

Altima hybrid using the new hybrid system from Nissan (not Camry HSD) should be interesting also. 40 MPG for midsize sedan seems to be the norm.

9. lennyp

lennyp New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My first fill up (after 424 miles) showed 39mpg mostly low 30's temperatures. Trips vary from 60% city to 60% highway. I hit a high of almost 45 on one trip keeping up with traffic, which was a nice surprise. Overall mileage suffered with two days of heavy rain.

Temps now have been teens to low 30's, so mileage looks much worse this next go round. Had a snow storm, which I had to drive through before any plowing. My guess is those batteries are very sensitive to cold and EV mode is a challenge at times. I've been playing more with the car in a spirited way than trying to see how efficient it can be this tank full. I figure I'll start reporting on fuelly once I get over 1,000 miles.

The Conti Purecontacts so far are well behaved and quiet. I was more cautious in the snow as this car is so new to me. No slipping or loss of traction on corners or steep hills, but is is fresh rubber. They performed well in heavy rain and wind - never felt the need to slow down due to the tires.

Cruise issue was I had ECO cruise turned off in the settings. I will try try it again next HW trip.

acdii, austingreen and usbseawolf2000 like this.
  10. acdii

acdii Active Member

Are those the 17" tires and is that what came on the car?

11. lennyp

lennyp New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, the dealer swapped out the LS-2's 18" for the Conti's 235/45/18, before I took delivery. I wanted the Michelins but they had to be the same size and they aren't made in that size. This was a dealer ordered car and they didn't know it would come with effectively a non-hybrid tire on the 18" painted wheel upgrade(?). So they worked it out internally and set me up. I suspect if they were 225 rather than 235 they would closely match the mpg of the 17" equipment. I have to say I like the look of the18" wheels, but would have preferred the 17" given the mpg results I see on these forums.

acdii likes this.
  12. acdii

acdii Active Member

Thanks, gives me something to pursue. Mine is currently in the shop, day #4, check engine light now. In my case, it may not be the tires causing it, there is someone who has snow tires on his, and is getting better than I am. Waiting on what the service finds wrong this time.

2 more visits and then time to LL the car. I hope it doesn't come to that though, its a nice driving car.

13. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :(
    Where do you live? Its not in your profile info.

14. acdii

acdii Active Member

The lovely corrupt state of Illinois. The only state whose Governors also make our license plates.

Latest update on my car, the plugs are fouled, overly rich fuel condition. Thinks its bad gas, but I'm doubtful on that, the station I go to has a high turn around, and if it had bad gas, there would be news on it.

austingreen likes this.
  15. sm.parnel

sm.parnel Parnel Smith

Vehicle:
    2011 Aqua
    Model:
    Five
    Even though Hybrids are a good concept to go green, but unfortunatly auto makers are not able to come up with a perfect green car. The New year Ford Fusion Hybrid is a clear example of it. I do not think hybrid technology is complete. It needs a lot of improvements yet.

16. acdii

acdii Active Member

There will never really be a perfect green car, in some form or another, to build it, service it, drive it, will require some form of non green technology.

17. acdii

acdii Active Member

18. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It will be interesting to see if the numbers go up when the weather changes...as they do with other hybrids...

19. acdii

acdii Active Member

They should. There was another hybrid owner who got his car shortly after mine, and he is getting expected MPG around 40, in this weather. I talked to him today.

20. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    interesting... and hopefully encouraging...