1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid, and poor FE reason

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by acdii, Dec 5, 2012.

1. maxsolar

maxsolar Junior Member

I offer the following information on my first road trip in a 2013 FFH.

Background - I'm a longtime hybrid owner having driven a GEN II Prius since 2005, a 2010 FFH for the past 3 years and now a recently purchased 2013 FFH. I routinely utilize most hyper-miling techniques except drafting, and I generally maintain the speed limit. Tires on the 2013 FFH are Michelin Energy. Tire pressure is set at 50 psi.

Road Trip - Out and back from Boulder to Ft Collins, CO on 1/6/13. Ambient temperature was 34 °F, avg elevation 5400 ft, negligible wind. Mostly county roads with speed limits 40 to 55 mph. Vehicle had 98 mi on odometer at start of trip. Round trip FE was 52.8 mpg. Outbound leg was 56 mpg, return leg 49.6 mpg. Elevation change outbound was -500 ft. Return was after dark an headlights were used. FE readings from vehicle computer agreed with installed Scan Gauge readings to within 1.0 mpg.

For comparison, I have made this trip many times in the 2010 FFH typically getting 51 mpg in winter. For the 2010 FFH, the actual FE (total mi/gal used) was 1 to 2 mpg less than shown by the car's trip computer. I have not yet calibrated the 2013's trip computer.

With the 60+ mph EV mode, I find the 2013 FFH much easier to pulse-and-glide at all speeds <60 mph. The 2013 FFH driver interface (Smartgauge) is much improved making it easier to operate this vehicle efficiently compared with the 2010 FFH and certainly much better than the Gen II Prius. With barely 100 mi on the odometer of the 2013 FFH, I anticipate further improvement in fuel economy as the vehicle break-in progresses and its learnable functions adapt to my driving style.

With regard to the tire type or brand influencing FE, it has been my experience that inflation pressure is by far the most significant parameter. At higher inflation pressures, differences between tire brands or rubber composition are likely to be less apparent.

Jeff N, lennyp, coach81 and 1 other person like this.
  2. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the report!

3. acdii

acdii Active Member

Looks like the real cause, so far, unconfirmed, were the spark plugs. My car has made a significant improvement in FE this past week after they were replaced.

In another 4000 or so miles, if MPG continues to improve and no more CEL lights, then I will call it repaired. Until then.......

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is it doing better than 2010 now?

5. acdii

acdii Active Member

Nope. In fact it still gets horrible highway MPG. Took a 50 mile interstate drive tonight, no faster than 65, no more than 3K accelerating, and got 36 with a tail wind, and 31 with a head wind. Using Ecocruise. With the ScangaugeII I can see the realtime MPG on it, and it barely touched 30 going into the wind, and was about 38 with the tail wind. only time I saw 47 was going downhill.

The only time I see 41 is my daily drive, and only if I can keep vigilant at the RPM's and EV mode. If I drive it like my 2010, it goes down to 36-38.

6. acdii

acdii Active Member

I had the dealer fax over the service records today. I discovered WHY they are claiming the car is OK. They only tested to 62 MPH. The problem is when I get over 63 MPH, the MPG drops like a rock. I can go from 42 MPG, get on the highway doing 65 and it will drop down to 36 in no time flat. Going to try to better explain it to them so they actually understand what my complaint is. It isnt the Hybrid portion, that is working just fine, its the ICE that is using too much fuel when used alone. It probably would do even better on hybrid if the ICE used less fuel.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And 62 mph is the magic number on these newer Ford hybrids.

Again, the EPA test's highest average speed on any test cycle is only 48.4 mph.

8. acdii

acdii Active Member

And the 2010 meets and exceeds the highway rating doing the posted speed limits, whether 55, 65, or 70. Above that, not too sure, I dont go much over 65.

I have checked with others who have driven at 65, and they are seeing better then I am, they are at leats hitting 40-42 at 65, which is about what I expect to see. I dont expect 47 highway at all, thats a pipedream, but at least to see up to 42 MPG in warm weather on the open Interstate.

Maybe the EPA should be, City/Highway/Interstate/Combined.

9. rkk

rkk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    acdii, with my c-max I am usually in the 30''s mpg doing 65 to maybe low 40's until the battery is about 80% charged. When that happens I can be upper forties or even fifties. I saw 60+ briefly today (and no, not down a big hill but there may have been a slight drop in elevation). Again that was at 65. Until the battery gets nearly full too much is being pulled off the engine for regen to get decent mileage. My tanks right now are at around 40-41 although I had one that was around 34. I live in SE Wisconsin so it's cold. I am not happy with my mileage because I did much better in my HCH-II (and I could leave the heat on all the time) but I don't think there is anything "wrong" with my car. I agree there is something wrong with yours.

austingreen likes this.
  10. acdii

acdii Active Member

yeah, full charge on the pack and it is still mid 30's.

I got my service record yesterday, and apparently, they misunderstood what I was telling them. The car does OK in hybrid mode, it just uses too much fuel at 65 MPH. The fouled plugs pretty much prove it too.

Where about in WI? I am near Sharon.

11. rkk

rkk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Racine. A full pack is the only time I see decent mileage when the ICE is on. Even at low speeds if the ICE is on and the battery needs charging(and at low speed it always does so as you have seen you have to use EV mode as much as possible), it's a dog.

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interestingly but not surprisingly, this is what we see in the Prius when you run the battery charge below 50%. While the ICE is aggressively charging the HV battery back up to 60%, your mpg drops by about 10mpg or so.

13. acdii

acdii Active Member

Guess what we should do is meet up, have you test my car out and see if you see the same thing I do. On a full charge with ecocruise set at 65 on the interstate, it sits around 36-38. The only time I saw it exceed 40 was with a tail wind.

Waiting on getting my 2010 back after I bashed the rear wheel into a curb and broke the bearing. I then need to make sure Ford fully understands my issue that its over 64 MPH that I see a greater then expected fuel use, and not a hybrid issue.

14. CARZ Wausau

CARZ Wausau New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Three words, get a Camry Hybrid and all your troubles will be solved. Ugh!

15. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wait... isn't that more than three :p

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) camry, 2) hybrid, 3) ugh!

17. acdii

acdii Active Member

Too bad going to a Camry is going backwards!

18. acdii

acdii Active Member

Going in for the 3rd time on Wednesday, this time however a Ford Engineer is due out to work on the car. Will they find the problem, or claims its the cold, my driving, bad gas, etc...... Will know by Thursday! If it is the latter, going to say goodbye to it, for my sanity!

19. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck. I'm sure that would eat at you if they can't fix it. It is best to take the loss. But really ford should buy that car back from you.

20. acdii

acdii Active Member

We shall see. On a side note, I was looking at used cars on the internuts and discovered there are 11, yes 11 used Cmax out there already. That does not bode well at all to see 11 new cars already on the used market after 6 months of sales. No Fusions though, maybe mine will be the first.