1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 gen 3 Headlight assemblies

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Slammed, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Looks like they're broken tabs are missing things are not cool I don't even know what this is are these the dual projector from a 2013 up If so you need special wiring harnesses in the whole bunch of nonsense I'm almost positive that's correct I don't think you'll be doing that easily and when you get done and have two installed you're going to have about $1,700 or something like that

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That link looks to me like it is for one headlight (the left one). So you might be looking at a similar price for the other one.

I'm not sure the broken tabs are a big deal. I think Toyota sells metal repair bits you can screw on where tabs broke off, and those probably aren't much money.

I would worry more about the "No module included! It will have to be swapped from your old unit!". I'm not positive what they mean by 'module', but I think there's an LED driver that attaches to the headlight, and if they mean you have to go buy two of those, that starts adding up. Or maybe they mean the level control motor.

I also didn't see whether these were for a left-hand-drive or right-hand-drive car. I came very very close once to buying a pair designed for RHD cars. Those would have the wrong light cutoffs built in, not enough light on the right of the road where you need it, too much in the eyes of oncoming drivers.

3. Slammed

Slammed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great info, thanks
    I wouldn't buy the broken tabbed ones but needing the driver and harness will add up

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Wait till the aftermarket has coverage . Should be soon .

5. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just briefly, those look like Gen 3, Level 5 LED headlights.
    I have a Level 5. These are highly rated headlights in 'Safety Testing'.

I'm trying to remember if it has the Euro 'auto-leveling' function....
    I suppose that would not work without the electrical connection to the 'height sensor' on the rear suspension.

Either way, that is a ton of money to spend on a headlight upgrade.:eek:
    Are there decent LED bulbs that could be used in the stock projectors
    and do they still put out a decent Low Bean Cutoff Pattern?
    I can always tell when oncoming cars have an el'cheapo LED bulbs that turn the Low Beams into Flood Lights.:mad:

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The LED bulbs will pull the cut off pattern that is built in to the fake projector lens assembly that we have in the Prius I'm not sure that there is a cut off in that type of projector it's just the lens it's amplifying the bulb light I do believe it's not a shuttered cut off like a real electrically operated projector that has a shutter in it similar to a camera that is activated when the low beam and cut off are desired and then when you hit the high beam the cutoff device or shutter is opened and you're wide open full balls to the walls lamp whatever might be in there Gen 3 didn't have this in original production now what's going on after the 13 and up $1,900 headlight sets may be finally they kind of got real I would hope for that kind of money

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No, the Gen 3 factory LED headlights do not use a movable shutter. They use LED low beam projectors with a permanent cutoff built in, and a separate high beam reflector using an incandescent bulb. When you're using the low beams, the high beam bulb is simply off.

Bill Norton likes this.