1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Persona - Adding aftermarket heated seats

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Keith Elkin, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    So someone I work with informed me that the heat isn't so great on the Prius and I would really benefit from having heated seats, I found some aftermarket kits for $100-150 per seat which is much cheaper than the $1000 the dealer wants to charge for them. Has anyone here installed aftermarket heated seats on their own? How hard is it to get the Softex seat covers off? I'm a pro with the electrical work and have done some car repairs on my own, I've just never stripped seats of their covers and don't want to take a chance if it's going to be difficult. (If I have to break the stitching and sew them back on, I won't bother.. I like the factory red stitching and sewing is not my thing)
    -Keith

2. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am thinking of getting clazzeo seat covers and adding thier heated seat pads. Look them up. They have 3 different sets to choose from.

3. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks, I've seen those and others, what I'm curious about is how hard is it to install them on Softex seats? If there's a good chance of ripping or stretching the existing fake leather, then I won't bother with it.. but if peeling back the seat bottom and seat back isn't too difficult then I'll go ahead with it. (I'm not worried about the electrical portion, that's cake for me)

Anyone know if the seats use hog clips or just wire ties/Velcro?
    -Keith

4. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Google the clazzio seat covers. There are a few videos on install. One guy from the company can do it in 15 min but he is superman. Most people I read about said it takes about 4 hours. To me the back seat is what looks tough.

5. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Ahh will do. I'm not bothering with the back seat, I rarely have passengers if I have to drive someone somewhere they can freeze their butts off anyway. lol
    Thanks

-Keith

6. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was talking about the seat covers. Not sure about peeling your seats back. Sorry

7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've replaced OEM seat covers with leather and installed heater. It is not hard but it is not easy either; you need wire cutters, hog rings and hog ring tool. There are only a dozen rings to replace per seat, give or take. Also need to take seat out and remove plastic parts.

To get an idea go to youtube and find video of leather seat install good luck

8. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks, yeah it looks easy enough from the videos I've seen already. What I'm more curious about is how the seat will feel once you place the heating elements in them. Will you feel a lump or change of elasticity in the seat? (I'd think it would feel uncomfortable if you're sitting on a rectangle that has a different consistency than the remainder of the seating area around it.. I'm especially sensitive to things like that lol)
    -Keith

9. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Heated seats don't or shouldn't get that hot. If it did, something is wrong. Go and test it out in a car with it. I def. don't need them where I live but my wife lives them in her Lexus.. but those cool as well as heat. Now that, cooling, would be nice to add in the Persona since it's black,.. but then it would require you to change to a perforated material.

10. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I'm not talking about how hot it gets, I'm talking about shoving a plastic sheet under the Softex and what that will do to the feel of the seat. Will I feel like there's something under me making it uncomfortable? Or will I not notice it at all?
    -Keith

11. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Sorry, never installed them. I'm sure that's highly dependent on the kit and the seams.

Ran across this so perhaps that area isn't as sensitive for some? :)

Heated Car Seats Could Pose Burn Danger

12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It would probably depend on which heaters you get? Mine are the carbon fiber heaters and you can't tell they are there under leather seats. They would be prob o'k on cloth seats too. Not sure if the wire type would be as forgiving, YMMV

13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All the rental Prius I have driven in the Minnesota winters have cooked me and my passengers out of the car. Prius has serious heating & cooling capabilities :)

Mike