1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Persona LeBra?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by davidvanb, May 10, 2013.

1. davidvanb

davidvanb New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Bought a Blizzard White 2013 Persona last week. Aside from being an awesome car, it is also an awesome bug collector! :) I think it would be wise to invest in a LeBra but am not sure which front end style to order. Perhaps the front ends are all the same and so I should order the v version...not 100% sure and the place I called did not have the Persona listed as one of the 2013 Models.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Do your car a favor and seriously do not put one of those bra's on the front. Your car will thank you.

You can look into clear bra film which may release bugs better plus it will help with stone chips while also allowing the color of your vehicle through since they are clear. Those LeBra's do nothing but damage the paint beneath, not to mention they look horrible.

Protect your vehicle's paint with Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film

Alternatively, when it is bug season, if you don't want to spend on a clear bra from someone like 3M I've used this during bug season with success.

Bug Barricade, 35 Ounces

- Griot's Garage

The Persona Prius is the same as a standard Liftback. The Prius v and c have unique front fascias.

3. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    With them scuffing up the paint, vinyl bra's are not very popular now. Clear bra and 3m Car defender spray are other options.

4. Dawit

Dawit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Totaly agree with you. 3M clear bra provides the best protection. I had it installed when I first got my prius in 2010 and it still looks as good as new.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't install one of those vinyl bra's. Just looks too dated. And I do think long term useage risks the bra itself damaging the paint.

I had 3M clear bra on my previous vehicle. For 3 years, and it did protect the hood well.

I'm still debating whether I want it on my new Prius. The cost has gone up, and while I did see benefit from my previous clear bra? There was a seem line on the hood where the 3M film ended that made washing and waxing a little more difficult.

I'm almost leaning towards living with it as is, and just also accepting some chips (hopefully) over the years. Could I live with "touch-up" until I needed a "re-paint"? .....still debating.

And as far as bugs? Well the clear bra still collected them, and they did stick. But with just keeping my vehicle well waxed and polished, I never had any trouble removing them.

It's not "bugs" that may motivate me to clear bra purchase, it's chips in the paint.

6. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Alteast we're pointing you in the same direction...

Echo.... lol..

7. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I agree. I went with the clear bra. Had it installed 2 weeks after I got the car. I had seven chips on the bottom of the bumper that sticks out... I painstakingly fixed them, but the BP touch up doesn't match. Long story short, I had to get the bottom resprayed and am waiting the 30 days for the paint to cure before I add the last piece of the shield. Get it installed ASAP if you don't want any chips!

Also, I received a sample kit from Toyota (part of the Toyoguard package) that included an exterior spot cleaner. It works great on removing bugs. Twice a year in Florida we have Love Bugs, some scientific/moronic attempt at getting rid of mosquitos. Now they swarm twice a year and splatter all over the car... They don't bite, but what a mess!

8. davidvanb

davidvanb New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks for the advice! I will investigate the 3M Clear Bra. Hopefully there is a detailer in my neck of the woods who can apply it professionally. Wife won't stand for bubbles. If not, the spay might be a great Plan B.

You guys are great!

9. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    bubbles aren't so bad.. it's clear.. (just trying to make myself feel better for my poor work, but it still works!) (y)

10. benny818

benny818 prius convert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ditto to the clear bra. First thing I added even after I picked up my car used.

11. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if it means anything you guys are convincing me I should probably get Clear Bra again.

I'm NOT a DIY person, at least not on a project like this. What has surprised me is the increase in cost. Some of it might be simply a size increase between a Honda Fit and a Toyota Prius...more coverage area, means more material needed. But 3 years ago, I could get the hood and fenders of the Fit Covered for less than $300.

I've dug around and for only hood and slight side fender coverage, installed I'm looking at near $400 at best. For the full monty...which I think you really need...hood, bumper, mirrors etc...the cost is upwards of $800.

I think it's a great product....just wish it wasn't so expensive.

12. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I recall it always being over $500 for a full front to be done.

13. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I paid $600.00... I had two choices and I chose the package that goes 3/4 of the way up the hood.

14. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, well like I said, I'm comparing it to the cost for my Honda Fit. The Fit was smaller, less coverage area, less material used.

It's a good product, good idea. I'll probably have it done.

15. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I suspect the cost of the material is negligible relative to labor. I plan to DIY it.. and just section, like lower lip section that is painted, and front section of hood.

16. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been talking to a lot of owners of the vinyl bras, and even some body shop guys. I was concerned with the vinyl bras causing damage as well. They've all said as long as you do a good job of maintaining it, such as taking it off weekly to wipe down the dirt that gets trapped in between, and cleaning the inner lining of the bra, you should be good. Some bras are easy to put on and take off, so it shouldn't be a hassle.

Initially I was looking at the vinyl bras just for road trips. That's when I tend to get rock chips on my front bumper, which I absolutely hate because you can't really fix that. I was even thinking of putting painter's tape on parts that I suspect the bra can damage the paint just to be safe.

I personally wouldn't get one for long term use bc they really are an eye sore. I'm still on the fence about getting one, but my next road trip isn't due for another 2 months or so.

17. attyjeff

attyjeff Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok I'm the odd man out. I driver over 50,000 miles a year. I not only have a car bra but mirror covers as wel because my mirrors were getting beat up as well. DO Not buy any bra other the colgan. It has a soft felt side againest the car side. Very well made. I have wasted money on several other brands and they do not compare. I think I paid 350.