1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Persona Tire Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by pdx.prius, Mar 22, 2018.

1. pdx.prius

pdx.prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    It's time for my studs to come off here in Oregon and I need to replace my original tires anyway. My 2013 Prius Persona has the 17" and the stock tires I had on it are the 215/45R17.

I've done a little bit of research through my reading here, but between the different sizes that possibly fit and the sheer the amount of tire choices, I'm way out of bounds for me.

I drive a ton of miles in the late Spring/Summer/Early Fall and I'm really looking for best available tires in regards to mpg that will fit my rims. I already take a hit on mpg with the 17s compared to me Gen 2 Prius. What say you, good people of priuschat?

2. PriusGuyAZ

PriusGuyAZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not sure if this will help but if it were me I would keep & run a new set of same tire size 215/45R17. I'm sure there's reasons Toyota chose that specific size on oem 17 wheels. If it's because of mpg then from what I've seen online & talking to few Prius owners locally- not much of a difference of mpg & break the bank.. if it's more for comfort as in smoother ride, more tire options & more tread wear which is a little better than 17" rims sure I get that.. Anyway you minus well down size to 15" wheels if you trying to change the oem 17" tire size..

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In the same boat with Canadian Touring: maybe going with:

Michelin Primacy MXM4

I'm slow-but-rough convincing myself that's the one for me. Was gonna do it this spring, but put the ol' Pilot HX MXM4 back on once more. They're just under 6/32" remaining, but manufacture date Feb of '09. But sooner-or-later yeah.

4. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Michelin Premier A/S, 215/45/17.

I have the 17 Inch Persona Wheels.

Averaging 49-50 MPG with conservative driving.

apt5020 likes this.
  5. BlkGenIII

BlkGenIII Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    FWIW I have Pirelli P7 Cinutrato All Season in 225/45/17 and I took about a 2-3mpg hit. Love the wider look and slightly taller profile. Great tire. 10/10 would take the hit again :)

6. Grandma Prius

Grandma Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

7. Grandma Prius

Grandma Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Michelin primacy MXM4 on mine and they have been awesome all weather tires.
    Got a deal on them at sams club. Plus a 70.00 visa from Michelin nice.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I'm here to blow some life into a dormant thread.

Background: I live in Southern California and my 2013 Persona has been "squeaking", sounds like rubber and sometimes I have the smell inside when I'm driving it. Couldn't reach my favorite mechanic (Avi the Prius Whisperer), so I had a mobile guy come to the house a month ago. He said the lug nuts were loose one the front driver side tire, so he rotated and tightened them. A month later, same problem, same tire, in the different location he rotated it to. He was just here and said I need new tires as one has a bulge in it and the others are cracking.

So, I need to get four new tires. I still have the 17" nightmare rims, lucky me - not. He suggested Michelins or Continentals. I'm trying, as I'm sure most of us are, to get the best priced tire that isn't going to self destruct in a couple of years. I'm not finding any great sales online, have checked Pep Boys, America's Tire Store, and Costco. Suggestions for a decent tire that won't break my bank. Trying save $ during the pandemic.

9. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Crickets

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus? (what a mouthful, btw)

seeh2o likes this.
  11. MarylandPriusOwner

MarylandPriusOwner New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We are in the same position. We've had this 2013 for about 6 years and have replaced damaged tires 4 times. Also the ride is horrible. What did you end up doing?