1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Pip left on for 2 days

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Pupvolunteer, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Pupvolunteer

Pupvolunteer New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I recently parked PiP in the garage and did not turn it off. Duh. We were gone for 2 days and came home to see water puddle below tail pipe. When parked, it had a full charge, no lights were on, audio off, auto climate control off. No miles left on battery, gas gauge appears about the same. Car seems fine. More water came out of tail pipe when I moved it. Is it OK? Do you think it ran much on ICE?

2. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It doesn't take much running of the ICE to keep the car in ON mode. I recall in my old '04 sitting listening to the radio, and the ICE started for about a minute every 15 minutes or so. So figure it may have run intermittently for a total of an hour or so over two days.

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome!

I'm sure it's fine. And if there were any mice in the garage, they might be dead, but the car is so clean they might be fine, too.

As @gallde, said, it didn't run long, and it would have been fairly low RPM. Unlikely to be enough to make a noticeable change in the gas gauge.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    people camp in prius 24/7, no worries

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This^
    Urban Prius living - Ruslan Osipov

One of the lesser known features of Prii is that you can feasibly camp in them with the engine on to power the heating/cooling.

6. Pupvolunteer

Pupvolunteer New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sounds good. Thanks so much!

Thanks! I wondered about potential carbon monoxide buildup. We have two windows on wall next to the car, that were partially open. No mice here, but a dead roach or spider is always welcomed!

Will do! Thanks very much.

#6 Pupvolunteer, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2019
    Data Daedalus and jerrymildred like this.
  7. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    All of the above shows why CO detectors are needed in the house, particularly if there are any bedrooms near or above the garage.

Data Daedalus and Pupvolunteer like this.
  8. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    CO detectors are required by code where I live. And even if they aren't required, anyone who burns any dead dinosaurs in your house (natural gas, gasoline, propane, wood, etc) should have at least one, and likely multiple.

That being said, I'd be more worried of CO poisoning from my natural gas water heater than a Prius Prime running overnight.

9. Parishorganist

Parishorganist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    We camp in our Prius all the time in the UK. We leave it on all night for heating/cooling. It is one of the most amazing machines out there. There is no other car in the world which does that!