1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius, 169k miles Won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ItsJK, Jun 23, 2022.

1. ItsJK

ItsJK New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a 2013 prius with 169K miles that ran for the first couple of weeks, but randomly died on the way to a gas station a minute from my house. The first ever code that popped up was p2118 and we checked the throttle body voltage, checked the map sensor and maf sensors but we have no idea how the throttle body works or how to test it properly and if it even reaches ground. We have been mindlessly trying to check what the problem is but keep coming to a standstill. We checked the battery, fuses, hybrid battery, and everything has been fine. The car won't reach idle and can't even switch into any gear besides neutral. When we try to start it up it cranks but doesn't reach idle and immediately dies. If anyone has any wiring diagrams or any more information it would be greatly appreciated thank you!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Wait a minute now I'm getting way ahead of ourselves I think so if you sit in the car and step on the break and push the button will it go to the ready mode r e a d y and when it does if you just sit there for a second mindlessly looking at the gauges and step on the gas right to the floor The engine should start up does it Yes if you let go of the gas it may go right back off because you're not commanding the car to do anything so when it shuts back off put it in forward or reverse and try to go whichever way if you're backing up the ice engines only going to start to charge the battery The HV battery because I think only electric motors carry you backwards so if while backing up my car usually goes about 100 ft and starts I'm continuing to back up and then I put it in drive and if I don't go anywhere for a second like sit there with my foot on the brake the engine will stop and it'd be dead quiet

3. ItsJK

ItsJK New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It goes into ready but the car won't reach idle let alone the engine just rattles and dies. Stepping on the gas does nothing for the car and it won't change gears at all.

4. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it’s throwing a code for the throttle body, it’s possible the wire/connector is lose or it’s really dirty and sticky that it has a hard time opening/closing to function.

My suggestion is to clean the throttle body with a throttle body cleaner and make sure it’s wires/hoses are connected. Also clean wires/hoses with contact cleaner.

I remember when I cleaned my throttle body it was pretty gunky and sticky. After I cleaned it my prius had better idle and acceleration because it was easier for it to open/close throttle body. Yours might be shut by gunk and won’t open fully.

Also while you’re at it, might as well give it the whole package by cleaning the intake manifold and egr system.

bisco likes this.
  5. ItsJK

ItsJK New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I cleaned the throttle body and check the sensors and connectors and everything was clean but the same problem still persists. Any idea what the resistance should even be for a throttle body because it was over 100. The next best guess will be the EGR and trying to test it somehow and maybe replace it but I don't know where to start with that.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Attached Files:

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The P2118 troubleshooting section in the repair manual is probably the one place you will find the greatest concentration of information that you want, all in one place.

Often, if you wait long enough, some PriusChat member who is comfortable posting whole sections of copyrighted information will come along and do that, and then you'll have it made in the shade. [edit: Aha! Mendel did, while I was typing this!]

Some other times, the people who usually do that might not see your thread right away, or you're just under more time pressure for one reason or another, and it's easier to look it up yourself:

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat