1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius 2,.. 43k miles, should i sell ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by nantucket, Mar 23, 2018.

1. nantucket

nantucket Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've had Prius- since '07. So i'm used to the MPG. Thinking of selling my 2013 Prius with 43k miles. I like it, it's been a trouble free car, looks great (light blue/green) but the seats are not all that comfortable when on longer trips, and I want more ground clearance. ..the MPG will be hard to give up... I test drove a 2018 Honda CRV (base model LX) and liked it.

Wonder if I'll feel the 28mpg vs. 48 mpg. since the CRV has a 15 gall. tank ?

Wonder how often I'll have to fill up in the CRV ?

The CRV is coming out with a hybrid in 2019. Wonder if I should I sell now, while It has lower miles,
    buy the base CRV, then sell again in a year when the CRV hybrid comes out ? (IF i like it better)
    I would get get a very good deal on the CRV if I decide to buy.

if I sell,.... i wonder what i should ask ? had front and back windshields replaced due to hail, and minor hail damage, but after the body shop, it looks brand new.

Is it really worth it to save $$ on gas with a hybrid ? I know you have to replace the battery.

Thanks

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're averaging 10k miles a year, with that average, you'll be using about 150 more gallons of fuel a year. So about $450 worth of savings a year by driving a prius.

Not a whole lot, less than $40 a month savings

Prius battery from a dealer will be $3500 or $300 a year.

CRV probably has better resale value

Based on this info, you're not saving much money by driving a prius

#2 JC91006, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    tvpierce and Grit like this.
  3. nantucket

nantucket Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks so much for your helpful reply!
    I get attached to cars.. and I think its more emotional than anything.
    I appreciate knowing that !
    I think I'm ready for a change.
    I've even thought of a Suburu Outback but haven't compared.
    Anything wider than a Prius or CRV would not fit in my carport.
    Thanks again!

4. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For every car that you buy and or sell, you will take an appreciation hit. Priuses in general are not holding their values well due to lower gas prices.

You may want to consider upgrading your seats instead.

Of course, if financial is not a concern, then go for that CRV! Good luck with your car endeavor.

5. nantucket

nantucket Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for this. I probably will sell since I have low miles.. but if gas prices go up again I may regret it.
    How would I upgrade my seats to make them more comfortable?
    Thanks again!

6. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How do you usually arrived at such computations? I ha e being truing to figure out how you do those. Could you give a hint, if its possible?

Thanks

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do a little guess work, not scientific

1 has 2013 with 43k miles - 10k a year
    2 10k divided by 28 and 48mpg to get fuel difference
    3 avg gas price in USA is around $3 gallon

I didn't figure in the depreciated value of his 2013

#7 JC91006, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Merkey and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I consider almost any vehicle under 50,000K as being "new".
    So basically what I'm reading is you've owned a Hybrid/Prius since 2007...so over a decade.
    And you are thinking about selling/trading in a IMO low mileage, trouble free Prius because "the seats aren't all that comfortable" and "you'd like more ground clearance"?

Again pure opinion, but those aren't reasons enough to me. I mean, if you've had a Prius since 2007 and have survived, then how much of a real need or priority can ground clearance really be?

As far as seat comfort...if you are in the "aren't all that comfortable" camp? You are probably ahead of the curve. Many people absolutely hate the Prius seats.
    If they are at all passable, count yourself lucky, and maybe try one of the nearly countless cushions or pad available.

Bottom line given your trepidation about making the move period, coupled with fears about rising gas prices, and a long history of enjoying a hybrid, at the VERY LEAST, I'd hold off on making a change until you took a look at the Hybrid CRV. Adding a few more months of mileage and ownership to your low mileage, perfectly good Prius isn't going to make that big a difference in value when it comes time to sell or trade in. If gas prices continue to rise, you might even get more for your Prius.

Sure you can look at it as I can make the change...then make a change again, but if you are considering that reality in less than a year time frame, then I think there is a flaw in your approach.

If it was me, I'd probably just keep the Prius, and buy a seat cushion. But if you really want change? And are "Pre-Worried" about whether you should wait to look at the Hybrid CRV? Then I would just wait and look at the Hybrid CRV.

Keep The Prius/Honda CRV/Hybrid CRV...will all still be basically the same available options in 8-12 months as they are today.

Another thing...my advice is don't go onto dealership lots and look at cars, unless you are entirely commited to buying a new vehicle. All that leads to is temptation. Dealerships, salesmen and the whole environment, is basically designed to make you want to buy a new vehicle.
    The casual or 1/2 committed "just a test drive" only leads to vagueness, and temptation. I only look at vehicles, when I'm 100% sure I want a new vehicle.
    Then and even then, only after I've researched exactly what I want, and know I want it, will I perhaps even venture onto a dealership lot.

And finally....
    Having gone from a Prius to a 33 mpg Honda Fit...larger gas tank or not, you would "feel" the difference. Even if you are filling up at about the same total mileage driven vs. gas tank capacity, there is a significant difference between upwards of 50 mpg, and anything in the mid 30's or less mpg.

Which is why I say, if you really just want change? I'd at least wait to go from Hybrid to Hybrid. After 11 years of Prius ownership, a jump to a regular ICE Honda CRV would be jarring from a MPG standpoint.

Merkey and Tande like this.
  9. nantucket

nantucket Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

10. nantucket

nantucket Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks for this! Very helpful.
    I'm thinking about all that you said.... and still very attracted to the CRV.

I wonder how often I would need to fill up in the CRV, compared to now ?

I need to see if CRV fits in carport. I would have to sell privately before buying the CRV. CRV feels allot nicer to drive. So I would get the same $$ if i sold next Jan when the hybrid CRV is here ? I fear the CRV base model will be sold out then. I'd get a great deal at 22K for the new CRV base model now, and if i can get 13,900K for my Prius, I could do that.

Between now & Aug. I will put about 3K miles on it going to see my sis. in rehab once/ week, 75 miles away. (I go twice a week but am driven the other time) ....Plus in town miles, and short trips, so estimating I will be at 55K + miles by Jan 2019.

Does that sound correct ?

I don't want allot of RF in the car (radiation). Google 'Automotive Radar: Yet Another Wireless Hazard -Wi-Cancer.info ...(PDF)

I'm a part time activist, working for our rights to keep analog meters, and live a safe distance from cell towers, ... (5G antennas, 5G 'small cell' towers, etc. are coming to our neighborhoods.) Google: 'Environmental Health Trust- 5G.'

Hope CRV hybrid will offer a base model without brake assist, collision avoidance, etc. They emit RF,.... they say you can disable it, but not sure if it will still emit. I don't think you can disable all of them. Prius checked out fine with EMF meter,... in safe zone in front seats.. (unless i have cell phone on.) (haven't tested back seats but don't think they'll be as safe)

This is why i chose base model CRV.... fewer RF emitting features. no Nav., ... only backup camera and bluetooth.

If i learn you CAN disable the RF emitting features in the CRV, and if it would NOT emit, i would want the EX.
    Betting the 2019 Hybrid CRV will emit more RF than the Prius. Would need to test it.

Just wanted to give you the full picture.

Thanks again !

The Electric Me and bisco like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how far is safe? we're a mile away from our tower.

12. nantucket

nantucket Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are fine.
    1/2 mile is safe too.
    Less than a quarter mile is not considered safe.
    Go to anteannasearch.com
    Or other cell tower locators to see distance from any location to nearest cell tower

bisco likes this.
  13. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well very roughly,
    28 mpg X 15 gallon capacity comes out to 420 miles.

Of course that's "perfect" EPA MPG and driving the tank dry.....so you probably could expect less.

You already know how far you are getting between fill ups with your Prius.

For most people, it's not so much how long or often, it's how far you're going on a gallon of gas.

If I remember right The Prius has a 11.9 gallon capacity tank. And when I owned my Prius I could easily go 400, 450, 450+ between fill ups, but more importantly I was only putting in about 10 gallons upon fill up.

You might be able to get a comparable "Time Between Fill Ups" with a CRV and a Prius. But you will never get a comparable MPG, rate between a CRV and Prius.

14. nantucket

nantucket Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks.
    What do you drive now?

15. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes. You should sell. Immediately. To me. For $2500.

Mendel Leisk, Threej and Merkey like this.
  16. nantucket

nantucket Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2500 ? Did you forget a zero!?

If they start putting the RF emitting semi autonomous safety features as standard on base model cars by 2020... then the non hybrid 2018 CRV would be a good since it lacks those features. (don't know if those features will be standard on base models by 2019.)
    The CRV does have more cargo room.
    I'll be thinking.
    Thanks.

17. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Nope. Who doesn't like a bargain??

nantucket and Merkey like this.
  18. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nantucket, your plan will cost you more money, especially if you sell again if the CRV comes out in a hybrid version. The biggest hit on depreciation will come in the first few years.

You're thinking of selling the 3rd gen Prius after 4 years, and then buying a new CRV and selling it in 2 years. Those depreciation hits will dwarf any differences in gas money. It's great to be in a new car every few years, but it's also the most costly approach.

Tande, Merkey and Grit like this.
  19. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Should of said, Will get less. Because you're likely to not get the perfect EPA mileage, and you obviously won't be running the tank to empty.

I currently drive a Honda Fit.

20. nantucket

nantucket Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've seen some good deals on cargurus.com