1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius -- any known major/minor problems reported?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JoanneR, Jan 12, 2013.

1. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A minor problem.

I've had the Prius III for less than a month. This afternoon while driving back from Tampa to St. Pete, I noticed a new green icon on the dashboard. When I stopped to pick up a movie, I looked at the manual and it was the icon for the cruise control. I absolutely did not touch the cruise control on this trip. Accelerated and braked just fine. Upon starting the car up, the icon was gone.

I will call Toyota on Monday to report this. Even though it is minor, Toyota won't know unless people report it.

Is there a thead anywhere on Prius chat where known problems are posted? Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it might be possible to bump the cruise while turning the wheel?

3. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, I am 100% confident I didn't "bump" the cruise control.

This isn't my first Prius and I did use the cruise control on trips with my 2007 Prius. I know how it works.

4. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I vote for gremlins!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you say 'new green icon', what does it look like? on the six toyota's we have had, they've all had the green speedometer icon. have you tried turning the cruise on, using it, and shutting it off a few times?

6. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Before reporting the "errant" CC dash icon, I would wait to see if it continues to pop up on a consistent basis. You know that if it does come on again, you can turn it off while you're driving. If it happened just this one time and doesn't occur again, chalk it up an accidental bump on the end of the CC stalk. Otherwise if you call to report, what is there to report other than you noticed the CC light on the dash for the first time?

7. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I didn't know what the icon was so I couldn't turn it off. When I stopped and was able to look at the manual, then I discovered what it stood for. I absolutely did not bump the on/off switch. Noticed it right way as something new so if it happens again, it will stand out.

8. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Understandable if the CC icon, control stalk, and operation is different from your previous 2007 Prius.

9. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The cruise control stalk and its operation are the same. The only difference is the icon. In the 2007 Prius, when the cruise control was engaged, the ion was the word "cruise." Now it is just a green "speedometer" icon (so I have learned after the icon popped up on the dash)

10. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Gremlins, your knee, or your passenger was being funny when you weren't looking???

11. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On my 2012/2013 Prius 3 the Cruise Control button is easily activated. I've bumped it before with my finger while turning and turned it on.

Also, did you not read the manual which came with the car when you first got it to know what all the various lights mean? The Manual is a very good source of information for the car. I always read mine cover to cover. Yes it's dry and boring but it does help to answer a LOT of questions.

12. Beel

Beel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Almost nobody does. I don't -- it's a reference for when I have a question. I can't imagine just reading it for fun.;)

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, willing to give the OP the benefit of the doubt if they say they did not bump or accidentally activate the Cruise Control.
    But also agree with most everyone else. I wouldn't bother to report it to Toyota unless it manifests again. One time? Even if I felt I hadn't bumped or accidentally activated the cruise control, I'd still just assume that "maybe" I did. Just because the definition of "are you sure you didn't unknowingly do something" is that you "unknowingly" did it.

If it is a problem? It will happen again. Repeated occurence will define it as a problem. Otherwise, I'd just ignore it, and look at it is your cruise control light simply introducing itself to you.

southernguy likes this.
  14. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Who said I was reading it for fun? I read the owners manual because it helps me know how things work and also great warnings are in it also. I can't be the only one to read the owners manual cover to cover?

southernguy likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the pip is 700 pages. i read half on a flite to cali back in may. the second half awaits...

16. Beel

Beel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I owe an apology to Blu-ray. I was wrong. My owner's manual is virtually useless as a reference, lacking anything like a real index.
    Bad enough, but then what I read is not what I see in my car. Particularly the Display Audio/Nav system guide (should I have a different one with the JBL system?) I ask because my dash doesn't look like the one in the book. Okay, so there's a disclaimer that mine may look different. I can cope with that, but then when I push the specified button I don't see anything like the book says. Well something like.
    If I push "car" I just see the fuel consumption display -- no selection for tire pressure even though my owners manual assures me that my car is equiped with a tire pressure warning system. There is so little of use with this system, that I can't believe it. My Gen II system theoretically didn't do as much, but at least it did do what it said it would.

17. phvdriv3r

phvdriv3r Defender of the Glass - Lemon-ed a 2012 PHV

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A