1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius C battery refurb will not start

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Garycs, Apr 29, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Garycs

Garycs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2013 Prius C. 34,000 miles. I bought it with about 10k on it as salvage. It had been hit in the front and with the airbags, clock spring, airbag ecu etc. it was totaled. I fixed the sheet metal and drove it for 6 years with no issues. I parked it a year ago and did not bother to start it. When I did the 12 volt battery would not hold a charge and the dash was lit up with a lot of warning lights plus the yellow triangle and the message "pull over hybrid system issue you will soon die". The ICE would start and the power steering would engage and the car would move under it's own power. Dr Prius indicated two of the cells were slightly low and high. I had two codes P0B47 P0B48. I pulled the traction battery, there was corrosion on the bus bars and nuts which I took apart and cleaned. I discharged and charged the blades until each one held > 5400 mah. There is a wiring harness on top of the battery inside the cover along with the temp sensors, black, yellow, brown. The brown and yellow wires insulation had melted so I wrapped them and put the battery back. Now the dash lights up and the car will come out of park but the engine will not start and the power steering does not start. I now have one trouble code, P0B47. Any help with where to start trouble shooting will be greatly appreciated.

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Replace the low cells

3. Garycs

Garycs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for your reply.
    When I went through the battery and discharged and recharged the individual cells the ones that showed bad in Dr. Prius no longer show as bad. They all have a capacity > 5400 mah.
    Does the 12 volt battery start the car? Or is it used for lights and accessories only? I replaced it also.
    Do any of the TIS knock offs on ebay work as a VIM?

Thanks

Gary

4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    12v doesn't start car

5. luis morales

luis morales Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Same thing. 12v battery died. From seating for 6 months. Changed battery, will not start.. it's at a prius shop and they can't get it to start
    5 days now..

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're not getting the proper codes. if they are using tech stream, the wiring or ecu's are damaged and cannot communicate. this is a worst case scenario for repairing a prius.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the 12 volt does start the car, but it does not start the engine. if you get the ready light, the 12 volt is fine.