1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 prius C checkup

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by seamonkey, Jul 30, 2019.

1. seamonkey

seamonkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, I am looking at buying a used 2013 prius c two. It has 27500 miles on it. It is the preverbal old lady car she drove it around to the market and all that. My truck is getting up there in miles and looking to get a commuter for work and keep the truck for truck things. Girlfriend has a prius and I kinda know what I'm getting into with this one.

The issue is when I took it to the dealership to get checked out a couple of things they said were an issue. (they are a Toyota dealer but they really didn't instill any confidence in me)

1. The tech said the brake pedal goes to the floor. I didn't think anything of it at the time but drove it a couple of times prior and never had any issues. Tried it out on the way home and realized it was for the hill start assist. Does your brake pedal go all the way to the floor also for this? there feels like two stops one for just stopping the car normal and can depress further to engage the hill assist. They checked brake fluid all fine there.

2. They said they could not get the engine to turn off and run off the traction battery. I didn't have any issues with it not turning off while driving it there, multiple times I could see on the screen it would run off battery. I also got over 50 mpg on trip, so wouldn't that indicate that the battery was working? It was hot and not sure if the tech had the ac going the whole time and that is why. Everytime I've driven the car it starts out with two bars on the battery not sure if its discharging more than normal, if that is an issue.

3. Service light was on. Car had been serviced about 100 miles prior, oil change all that. The two times I drove it was never on, then when I drove it home wasn't on either. Service guy said it was for the 30k mileage service but was no where on the dash only thing was passenger airbag light so not sure what they were talking about or if that was what the tech thought was a service light. Not sure if it popped up do to them working on something on the car.

They want me to bring it in and have their "lead tech" look at it should I try a different dealership or see what they have to say? I think any repairs should be covered under hybrid battery warranty and the lady bought a platinum protection plan that ends in September just wanted to get everything fixed before purchasing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

1) no, the brakes should feel normal. hsa beeps when you press hard while stopped. you don't feel anything.

2)the battery likes to be used. time is harder than miles on it. a 6 year old car that has only been driven an average of 4500 miles per year may have some weakness

3) service light? is just a reminder on the screen. not sure what he meant either. how much did they charge you? how much more for the lead tech?

you do have a couple more years on the battery warranty, but it doesn't kick in unless you get trouble lights/codes.
    are you getting a good deal? other than the battery, it should be about showroom new.

shop around for a new battery price to see what it's worth if it fails after warranty.

all the best!(y)

seamonkey likes this.
  3. seamonkey

seamonkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info.
    "used car inspection" was $120. The lead tech is just an hour of shop time. Idk going to talk with service manager about the issues I had with them.

Yea I get that about the battery wanting to be used. Was a little worried about that but we will see what tomorrow brings.

Car is in good shape a few scratches and dings ( she was 91) but nothing bad. Had an accident on Carfax on 2014 but was some bumper issue taken care of.
    Car is $7500 (Carfax estimated it at $12k) guy just wants to sell it. Not sure if he didn't do any research on it or what. Was listed for like a month on Craigslist without a number so think was getting desperate and dropped the price when he reposted.

4. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'd jump all over this car. The battery has a couple more years on the factory warranty, so your good there. May be due for a 12v battery to be replaced however. Might sound trivial, but a weak/failing 12v will make a Prius do some very weird things.

If you purchase it, enjoy the car. :)

seamonkey likes this.
  5. seamonkey

seamonkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks,

Yea I figured even if worst case happens in 2 years when warranty is out and would have to replace battery I am still ahead on car value quite a bit so.

Just got off the phone with the dealership, no issues with the hybrid system everything looked good. Didn't get charged so that's a bonus.

So going to meet him Saturday to pick up my new prius :)

Thanks for your guys info.

dubit likes this.