1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius C - No Rear Taillights

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by NickerNerd, Apr 16, 2018.

1. NickerNerd

NickerNerd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Premium
    Good day Prius forum! Perhaps someone here can assist me, first time poster, so my fingers are crossed I'm in the right area, and I'm following all etiquette guild lines (-:

As the post reads, I have a 2013 Prius C and none of the rear daytime running (DRL) turn on. A friend was driving behind me at night and noticed, no DRLs were on, just the license plate lights? I pulled over and sure enough, nothing was on, just the license plate lights. No matter what I cycled on the control knob, nudda! However, all the lights do work independently to themselves ie: tap the brake lights, both brake lights come on, turn on the hazards or try each turn signal, yup, both sides work as they are suppose to. I even tried the reverse lights, they also work fine.

Guessing it could be a DRL fuse, I tracked down, what I think, is the correct fuse, see my attached photo. I checked it, and its find, the fuse is solid, not broken in the middle.

I went to the local dealer, he didn't say or do much except to say, "do not know,....I can book you in, $115 service fee per hour". Next I found myself here reading through the threads, I see some similar ones where people of burnt out bulbs, but I couldn't find a thread like mine, but again I may have missed it, there is so much information here.

Thanks for reading my thread, please put me to work with any suggestions you have, I have my tools standing by.
    Thanks again,
    Allan

Attached Files:

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the term you're looking for is "tailight" not daytime running light.

Either the fuse is blown or, by chance, both taillights failed.

IIRC, only the brakelights are LEDs. I think the taillights are regular halogen bulbs so you can take out the taillight assembly to see if the bulbs are blown.

Check page 419 of your owner's manual.

upload_2018-4-16_16-29-17.png

3. Sanjay Goel

Sanjay Goel Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This has been a concern of mine for some time now. The reason behind DRLs is that even in the daytime your vehicle is more noticeable to other drivers if your headlamps are ON. Hence the conclusion that if others can see you better, better the chance that they will be able to avoid you and not crash into your vehicle.

However, vehicle makers have designed DRLs so that only the front lights stay on but not the rear lights. I suppose the assumption being that nobody would hit any vehicle from behind - hence no need to keep the taillights ON as part of Daylight Running Lights.

Hare Krishna!

4. NickerNerd

NickerNerd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Premium
    Thanks for replying Tideland,
    Well, I may have, and hopefully, over complicated my error. I removed the 2 bayonet bulbs, shown in your diagram as #2s. I tested them with a meter and one of them is blown, but has no internal sign of of being so, the other tested fine. I'll replace both tomorrow and see what happens, but which fuse should I check for the taillights?

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Np.

ohh... good question lol. I don't have that diagram handy. Hopefully someone else can get to you soon.

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't recall of the top of my head, but the fuse panel is very well labeled.

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No, the "assumption" is that the transition from off to ON for the brake lights is more noticeable in the daytime if the tail lights are OFF in the DRL mode. Thus DRL is not supposed to make anything on the rear come on.

The original post is confusing because the D in DRL stands for "daytime" but later in the post he talks about a night test.

The only thing I can figure out is that the OP thinks it will transition from DRL to headlights ON automatically at dusk.......and it will NOT.
    You must turn the headlights ON manually.

The brake lights and turn signals work all the time, irrespective of the state of the headlights.

8. NickerNerd

NickerNerd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Premium

Thanks again Tideland, I had over complicated the problem d'oh, only the 2 rear markers were out. Thanks for the reply and diagram, big help.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  9. Sanjay Goel

Sanjay Goel Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What you have explained does not solve for the situation when it is low visibility during daytime so if the tail lights are not ON, then a car driving behind may not see it until it is too late.

Hare Krishna!

10. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Turn your lights up a notch? With your running lights on, your tail lights come on.

11. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    DRLs were not intended for that kind of situation. Turn your headlights ON.

If you have fully automatic lights, sometimes they will come on by themselves if the visibility is bad enough but you can't count on that.

Maybe they should be called NDRL, for Normal Daytime Running Lights.

12. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So the OPs actual problem was 2 blown tail light bulbs, which has been fixed, and nothing really to do with Daytime Running Lights. Might be worth mentioning in case it comes up for anyone buying a used C, that if the Front DRL aren't functioning, it might be that the previous owner turned them off. It may vary by year, but it should be in Set Up -Vehicle, then scroll to the bottom.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Every six months or so, do a walk around the car with the lights on, familarize yourself with what should be on, compare one side to the other, have someone shift to reverse, press and release the brakes, headlights on, high beams, signals, and so on. Around here I notice maybe one in ten cars going by has at least one license plate light out, for example.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Edited title for clarity

15. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't see that in this thread anywhere.
    Could you point it out, please ?

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bold is my emphasis

17. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Here's where he tells you what had actually happened.

rjdriver likes this.
  18. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well I guess I didn't read enough into that statement.
    He said "the two rear markers" were "out".......which they will be if the light control is still on DRL.
    Did he ever say that he fixed the problem by replacing two bulbs ??

When my neighbor told me that I "fixed" it by turning the headlights ON.

19. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

20. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I did miss that post.....or forgot it was there.

BUT.....that doesn't say that messing with the bulbs actually "fixed" anything.

The logical assumption at this point is: One bulb blew and took the fuse with it......causing the other side to be out too.
    But that's just a guess.