1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 prius check hybrid system error message on with a bunch of other check lights after i washed th

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Khakwani, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Khakwani

Khakwani New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hello guys.
    I bought a 2013 prius a couple of weeks ago. It was working fine, Took it to a car wash, and asked them to wash the car ( but without washing the underhood area ) and also went for a steam wash interior cleaning .
    After this when i tried to start the car, the car did start but with a grumpy sound and the check hybrid system error was displayed, along with 4-5 other check lights. Called in a guy who had a tab which read the errors, he cleared the codes and i went back home but as soon as i reached my home the same thing happened again . Anyways i left the car overnight and tried starting it in the morning but the car wouldnt start . So i left it under the sun and blow dried the interior and the Hv battery area , with the 12v battery terminals disconnected . I did all this for 2 days and when i connected the terminals the third day the errors and check lights were gone and the car drove perfectly well .
    Today after about 25 days , when i went for another car wash , the same thing has happened again . Did not wash the engine area ( under the hood ) did not pressure wash the tyres / behind the tyres area, just went for a body wash .
    Can anybody tell me why after a car was this happens

2. Khakwani

Khakwani New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry forgot to mention, when i turn on the ignition the car does start but the hybrid systems seems to be disconnected, dosnt go on EV , only the engine works that too on a very high Rpm, and the back battern fan is running like crazy ( high speed ) Here is the picture of the dash when the car is on .

Attached Files:

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the spare tire, 12v battery and hybrid battery for water.

are they doing an undercarriage wash?

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is there anything blocking the battery fan inlet?

Carry any hairy pets?

Any history of damage to the car?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you have Toyota dealerships? Assuming yes, get it towed to and diagnosed at dealership. And avoid spraying near electronics in future.

There's been similar reports: window tinting for example, involves water spraying. Water and electronics don't mix.

Sorry for being Dutch Uncle tonight, but there it is.