1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius electrical issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Slinder91, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Slinder91

Slinder91 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I need help with my wife's 2013 Prius. It has about 70,000 miles on it. So the issue is intermittent and doesn't always show its face, some days she will be driving and the hazards will start randomly flashing and the doors will lock and unlock a bunch of times. I disconnected the battery in the back for about 30 seconds and reconnected it and all seemed just fine but just yesterday the problem came back. Could this be at all due to a low key fob battery?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you have more than one key Fob? This behavior is consistent with one of your other Fobs buttons malfunctioning and sending a signal to lock & unlock. Also, I've read on here of people losing their Key Fob inside their car. Perhaps it's wedged in between something in a way that causes the cars movements to push the button?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A key fob cannot cause the errors you're describing, the buttons in the fob doesn't with when your car is in READY MODE.

Has this car been in an accident before?

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sometimes my lone broke key fob keeps sending random signals to lock car after my car keys are set down when I get home, but those same symptoms have never happened when car is running.

5. Slinder91

Slinder91 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The car has not been in an accident before but the car has been in the bitter cold of Alaska that got down to -40/-50. We brought it back down to Massachusetts but when we had it in Alaska I had it winterized with a battery maintainer and oil pan heater. Well my wife didn't plug in the cars winterization a few times when it got super cold out and although the car did start, it struggled.

Sorry for the long enough story on that lol because I'm unsure if that contributed to this issue.

Another side note that could be a factor is I installed a remote starter(crimestopper sp-502) will a bypass. And that also has its own key fob with lock/unlock etc. And that brand I haven't had good experience with. I've had multiple replacement two way remotes go faulty.

iPhone ?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the 12v battery health. if it isn't that, then it is likely a bad connection in one of the three aftermarket devices.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you disconnect the remote starter and see if things get back to normal?

8. Slinder91

Slinder91 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll disconnect it this weekend to see if it changes anything, I'll keep you guys posted

iPhone ?

PriusCamper likes this.