1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius has weak bass?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SUPERCOOLMAN, Jan 3, 2014.

1. SUPERCOOLMAN

SUPERCOOLMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I can hardly hear the bass on my new 2013 Prius 4, which replaced my lease of 2010 Prius 3 with Navi . both had their DSP setting at default balanced position. I thought it was because I got the base trim 4 with no addition, but my friend who just went from 2010 Prius 5 with Navi to 2013 Prius 5 with those whistle and bells felt the same on his new car.

Wonder if Toyota picked really bad sound system (downgrade?) for 2013 Prius or both of us have bad ear?

2. Skunkworks

Skunkworks Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's the new green edge stuff, add a sub and dynamat the doors and you are set

3. wbray123

wbray123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I noticed the same going from a 2011 Prius III with JBL to a 2013 IV with JBL. I have the bass turned up almost to full to hear bass. I've never turned it up more than a notch or two in a car before. I don't like excessive bass, but I want to hear some!

4. SUPERCOOLMAN

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I leased current car, so it's probably not worth the effort to make changes. will see how my friend goes with his car.

I've didn't find the need to change DSP from default setting in 2010 Prius, but 2013 Prius produces distorted sound and boom when you crank up bass by more than 2 ticks, so that wasn't really the solution either.

5. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Use Auxiliary with a beats audio player, and that should solve ur bass issues. lol

6. nodrogkam

nodrogkam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just got the 2013 IV w/Navigation package with the 8 speaker JBL Green system.
    Not impressed with the Bass either. Clarity is on par with most cars but definitely lacking in the bass department - doesn't seem to matter what source input I use - I've tried them all with different devices etc.

It's not horrible but my friend with a base Hybrid Camry sounds way better (granted that car is basically filled with 6x9" speakers which are much better for bass).

7. tharepairguy

tharepairguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is it just the JBL setup or both? I have the base 2013 prius and installed custom sound systems for a living back in the late 90's. My factory setup sounds great to me and enough bass to shake all mirrors at default settings. Aside from having a pointless touchscreen GUI, I wouldn't consider replacing it for sound quality.

8. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you are used to a subwoofer, the bass will not compare.

I don't actually have a complaint with the bass, but with the treble. When I turn it up loud, it seems to get way more harsh and trebly than it is at mid to low volumes.

9. SUPERCOOLMAN

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    when you play some pop songs with good dynamic range and the 2013 Prius sounds like repetitively push and pull you head in and out of water. let it be treble, mid or bass. all sounded terrible. didn't have this issue with 2010 Prius. did 2010 Prius came with a subwoofer from factory? I'm used to 2010 Prius.