1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius Misfire Codes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Gen3Prius, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Gen3Prius

Gen3Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I bought a 2013 Prius last month with 290k miles. A few days later, I got a check engine light. After plugging in my scanner, it said P0300 P0301 P0302. After looking online, my heart sank to the ground, I was scared that it was a blown head gasket. I spent a lot of money to get that car. However, I have noticed that after almost 1200 miles of driving, there is no coolant loss at all and the engine oil is also amber in color. No white smoke either at the tailpipe.

This reassured me that maybe it was not a blown head gasket. So I did further research, I changed my spark plugs for new ones, switched my coils and cleared the codes, but the same error codes come back. I also used a full bottle of fuel cleaner to no avail.

I have noticed that when I clear the codes, the CEL lights only come back on during cold starts. The last thing I could do that comes to mind is intake cleaning as well as the EGR pipe and see if it helps.

My question is EGR active at cold start? I have read that EGR only kicks in later when the engine is warmed up. Is there any possibility that a clogged EGR pipe or intake manifold might cause the misfire?T

I would also like to mention that the CEL light sometimes disappears on its own, especially on slightly hotter days and comes back later on colder days.

Thank you

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

the egr circuit should be cleaned no matter. see @NutzAboutBolts youtube video

Gen3Prius likes this.
  3. Gen3Prius

Gen3Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you. I will try that and hope that my problem gets fixed

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you have misfires, the first order of business is to find out why you have misfires. You've already worked on ruling out ignition as a cause, and to some extent fuel delivery (though dumping a cleaner in the tank is not really a thorough way of checking that). The main thing not covered yet is a compression or leakdown test, which will reveal whether you have some such issue as an early-stage head gasket failure.

There is some belief that proactively cleaning the EGR system might be a way to avoid head gasket failures. While that may be so, in the event that cold start misfiring has already begun, EGR cleaning isn't at the top of the to-do list now; finding the misfire cause is.

If a leakdown test implicates the head gasket, then the EGR should also be cleaned while doing the gasket job, so it's clean for starting up the engine with the new gasket.

If a test says the compression is fine, then you're back to looking for other misfire causes. You're right that EGR is designed to be closed at start and idle, so it is not normally a direct cause of misfires in those conditions, but now and then someone finds a valve that isn't fully closing.

Gen3Prius likes this.
  5. Gen3Prius

Gen3Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you for your suggestions! Is it possible that there is early head gasket failure without any coolant loss after 1.5 months of driving it almost daily (I put a mark on the coolant reservoir to see if any change)? The reason I am asking is because I do not want to spend more money to buy a compression test kit :(.

This sounds like a plausible cause but wouldn't this throw code P0401 instead if the valve was stuck open or close? Is there any way to check from the outside if the EGR valve is stuck open or closed without removing any parts?

Thank you

6. Gen3Prius

Gen3Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I was thinking of replacing the pcv valve while cleaning intake manifold and also cleaning the MAF sensor and TB to rule them out too.

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Are you ever getting a severe engine rattling and shaking at cold startup? It can be occasional. I agree with Chapman, make the misfire go away before doing much else including any long distance driving. When you replaced the plugs did any of them look different, either cleaner or worse than the others?

Some unscrupulous sellers can use a head gasket/block sealer to minimize a leaking head gasket for a few weeks or months. A borescope can also be used to verify hg coolant leakage into the cylinder as well.

Gen3Prius likes this.
  8. Gen3Prius

Gen3Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    All of them looked a bit wet/oily. Plug 1 and 2 were "wetter" than the 3 and 4. I will be posting pictures of them when I get back home from work.

I will try to record and upload it here by tomorrow.

I sure don't hope so. I know my test is not really scientific but I put a paper towel trough the coolant reservoir hole and the paper towel got wet with clear liquid, not metallic color.

Thank you!

Meanwhile I will try to upload some pictures and videos

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    While it may be plausible as a cause if it happened, I don't really know that it happens very often. I guess I've seen a few reports where somebody said it did.

I don't think a sticking-open valve would lead to P0401. That code is really set for detecting insufficient flow, and even then, it can only be detected when the ECM's monitor routine runs (it gets snuck in during decelerations, above certain speeds, with the engine warm, etc.)

If you wanted to check that the valve moves smoothly in and out, the black plastic stator is held on just by two Phillips screws and there's not much in the way of taking it off. The screws are notoriously stubborn, but a hand impact driver or air-powered seized-fastener kit like Lisle's or Thexton's will knock them loose and then they come out nice as can be. (Note that those tools are not your familiar impact socket driver, which would probably break the screws right off; the right tool just bops straight down on the screw while you twist gently.) It's easy with the right tool; without, you're at risk of rounding the heads.

Then you could spin the rotor off counterclockwise and check that you can easily push the stem of the valve inward and it easily springs back out.

There was a whole thread where somebody had a P0401 because of a valve-not-opening-enough issue because the little ski jump molded into that rotor had gotten mangled. This is what it should look like:

[​IMG]

But that involved pretty unusual circumstances (very hot climate, very hard driving, likely the EGR valve actually got hot enough the ski jump got soft). Easy to check, but also that one case is literally the only one I know of.

Overall, I would counsel most people to make a deliberate effort to remember other causes of misfires too and not overlook those, as a way to sort of balance the overweight attention to EGR on PriusChat.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With 290k I would get on leak down test. More info on Exhaust Gas Recirculation cleaning in my signature.