1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius Persona 17" OEM wheel weight

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by CalvinL, Feb 21, 2013.

1. CalvinL

CalvinL 2013 Prius Persona Black Cherry Pearl

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just traded-in my 2011 Prius II (classic silver) for the pretty and new 2013 Prius Persona (black cherry pearl). The package is pretty nice.
    But my question is: does anyone know the weight of the OEM 17" wheel (without tire). If not, does anyone know the weight of the Toyo A20 17" (215/45R17) tires? Or point me someplace I can find it? Google seems to give me a list a mile long that just talks about curb weight and load weight. I may consider pulling it off and just weigh the whole thing when it gets warmer here in NY!
    I'll try to get pictures once the pretty side of my Park's parking lot is re-opened (public works used part of it after Hurricane Sandy).

2. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  3. CalvinL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the post. I was not sure if they were the same or not and I could not find any decent pictures. Well, I'll probably weigh them just for the hell of it :)
    But ugh - 24 pounds?!!?!? I guess it's a good thing I saved my Enkei RPF1 16x7" rims that are 13.5 pounds. It is odd though, that I am getting slightly better gas mileage, so far, with the heavier rims. I wonder if the tire has anything to do with it. I guess I will have to consider a few more things before I decide to sell my Enkei rims.

4. CalvinL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it is due to the tires. The Proxes A20 tires are extremely fuel efficient and very expensive. Most people lose 2-4mpg when they replace the tires with other LRR tires. The A20 is a terrible tire in all other respects AND it is very expensive so just get used to the idea of losing some fuel economy when you change tires. lol

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did a couple of lifts of our OEM 17" wheel assembly (with Michelin Pilot 215/45R17 plus valve, tpms, weight), it came in at 44.80 lb each time. The scale is digital, fairly accurate, locks on a value when the load stabilizes. On TireRack the tires is shown to weigh 22 lb. Discounting the weight of the miscellany listed above, I'd put the rim slightly over 22 lbs.

Here's the scale I used, claimed accuracy within 1%:

Chestnut Tools® Portable Electronic Scale - Lee Valley Tools

7. CalvinL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow - I really respect the effort and length you went to do this. Thanks for the time in your post.

22-24 pounds - not too too bad. Well, guess I'll wait to see how they perform before I decide on anything else. The new rims do look really nice - gun-metalish sort of look although not quite so dark.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The OEM 17" rims are a perfect colour match for 3rd gen silver prius touch up pen.

Yeah, they're pretty heavy for a rim: I did another lift and it read 44.89, and who knows accurate 22 lb is for the Michelin Pilot, they're just rounding to nearest pound I would think.

BTW, I didn't pull the wheel off the car, if that's what you're thinking, LOL. They're stacked in the garage, have snow tires on right now . ;) (Wonder why sometimes, mostly just rained this winter...)

9. CalvinL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well still, it's more than I can do at the moment. My old Enkei RPF1's weigh 13.75 pounds. I no longer have tires on the rims so its easy to stick on the scale. But we'll see . . . . The 17" on the Prius Persona (modified package III) maybe a slightly different color. I am not sure here and am still investigating this.
    I remind you that little things like atmospheric pressure, elevation, and all that jazz can also cause slight differences.
    Here are a couple pics of the wheel (after I had them pulled off from my 2011 Prius) and a picture of my old 2011 prius (classic silver) with the enkei wheels.
    Enkei_RPF1_resized.jpg
    Toyota Prius 2011 - 20110914_resize.JPG

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I seen one of those Black Cherry Prii a couple days ago and damn it looked nice :)

Mike

kronos89 likes this.
  11. CalvinL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a link to some of the pics of my black cherry pearl prii :p
    2013 Prius Persona Black Cherry | PriusChat

The color is amazing as are the options. The price tag is a bit stiff, in my opinion, but still - it is a fair value.

kronos89 and WE0H like this.
  12. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The Persona wheel color is like in between a black chrome and anthracite. The trim level 5's are silver.

Wonder if it's the lighting but the Cherry seems to make it look tall and short.

Lots of wheels thread on this forum.. find a comfy chair for a long read.

Grandma Prius likes this.
  13. CalvinL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been looking at wheels since my 2nd Prius - my 2008 Silver Toyo Prius II. And there is a lot of great materials in the PriusChat forums on this as well as other sites. Especially the wheel+tire combo and speed difference(s) calculators. Yeah - the wheel color that comes with the Prius Persona is really nice - and most "average" 17" wheels out there are around 22-26 pounds - but the Enkei RPF1's seems the most cost effective at 14-15 pounds or so for the 17" at around $220-$250 per wheel new. The price jumps significantly for other quality/name brand wheels that are under 20 pounds. This is my two cents - but I could be biased because I own a set of Enkei RPF1 16x7's :)
    I LOVE the Volks CE28n - but OMG - $600 to $900 a piece for 17's is a bit much when my blood isn't worth a fraction of that right now. They're like 8-11 pounds depending on size of course.
    All the talk about wheel weight is semi-moot considering I put on like 34 pounds of beer and other goodies into my belly since my very first Prius. So in thoery, I could lose my beer belly and still be all good :p

14. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    What I gathered from the forum and their result is wheel weight won't affect mpg much but tires will.

Contact patch(size) and thread pattern seem to be key factors. Once again, aesthetics!

15. CalvinL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wheel weight affects rotational mass which in turns affects unsprung weight which is only a part of the larger equation. Then there's a question of the area where the tire and the wheel meets and bla bla bla blah... plus sizing - bla bla bla blah... and more physics than I care to recall right now :) And then there is the tire weight too. Well, whatever - like yo usaid: "aesthetics!" *lol*
    Suffice to say, I want a decent balance between the money I spend, the aesthetics I want, and the keeping the performance equal or better than OEM. I want it alll - muhahahahaha!!!! :p

16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Factory Plus Perf 17's with Michelin MXM4 tires have a bit slower acceleration than the regular 15" Mr Donut tired Prius. MPG's are down about 10% also. This is just my personal experience :)

Mike

17. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    that's what great about forums.. results validated.. I hate blowing money with certain expectations and get disappointed! What i love finding is all the tweaks we can do that are cheap or even free.. for instance up the psi up and get __ mileage.

can't wait to lower it to decrease drag.. and increase mpg by 20! ;)

18. CalvinL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *yaya* easiest way - up the psi a bit or more... just do not exceed maximum psi :p And don't forget that the tires heat up as you drive too - so it's usually a good idea to keep it a couple of pounds under the maximum psi. Yes the forums is great for information. Trouble is, sometimes there's too much of it. And more often than not it's like "does that teeny tiny detail really matter that much?" Which at that point is really upto the individual I think. What's the point otherwise, right? :cool:

WE0H likes this.
  19. Grandma Prius

Grandma Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Nice ride looks a lot like mine lol havent seen any on the road yet, was wondering how many were produced haven’t been able to find that out. I think they call wheels and trim smoke chrome.

#19 Grandma Prius, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018