1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius Plug-In Mechanic in NJ/NY?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Andrea215, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Andrea215

Andrea215 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi all,

I'm new here - recently purchased a used 2013 Prius Plug-In and am due for an oil change and alignment. Does anybody have a mechanic who deals with hybrids in NJ that they could recommend - I am in Central NJ near Tinton Falls but willing to travel for a good mechanic. I searched the forums but couldn't seem to find any answers when this question was asked a few different times - hoping somebody on here now has found one they like! The dealership here wanted $159 for the oil change and $119 for the alignment - seems pretty high?

Or, would a normal mechanic be okay to use for my car? The one I went to for my previous car really had no idea what to do with a Prius when I called so seems like I should go elsewhere. If so, any specific things I should make sure to check they will do with the oil change (type of oil, etc) & alignment? I don't even know if they would know how to turn off the "Maintenance Required" light!

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any mechanic can do prius maintenance unless you have a breakdown, in which case, it depends on what is broken.
    if you can't get a referral, look for a triple a rated shoppe.
    i take mine to the local mobil station for regular maintenance.

3. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The alignment price from the dealer is not too out of line, but the oil change is ridiculously high, by at least 50%, even with synthetic oil and filter.

4. MattStevenson

MattStevenson Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I get my oil changed at Walmart. I have been for years. Cheapest way is to buy the 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 0w-20 off the shelf. Then tell them you want an oil change. I buy my tires there also. I'll be getting my alignment done at the dealer soon.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The alignment price is reasonable, but the oil change price is outrageous. Maybe they had a few other jobs that they were including in that quote. I suggest you check
    with a different dealer and see how much they want. As for me, I changed my own oil because I don't even trust the dealer to use the right 0w20 synthetic oil. It's expensive and you would never know if they substituted something cheaper. If you do change your oil be prepared to buy a Prius oil filter wrench from Autozone or your favorite parts store. This is a cartridge type filter with an expensive plastic housing that must be reused.

6. NewsStripper

NewsStripper New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Please do not take your beautiful vehicle to any mechanic, they can/will swap your original toyota parts for low grades then you’ll really have a problem. Go to the dealership, especially for electrical work. Walmart is fine for tires and only full synthetic oil changes.