1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius Report

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jdonalds, Apr 4, 2013.

1. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    We own a 2008. I rented a 2013 for a week while on vacation. Here are my findings.

My first impression was the 2013 is achieving about 8-10 mpg better than our 2008. I was in Florida. Florida is pretty flat which adds to the mileage.

I also felt the 2013 rode better and handled better than our 2008.

However were I in need of a new car today I would have to think twice before buying a new Prius.

Things I didn't like:
    • My number one complaint about both the 2008 and 2013 Prius. The center gauges on top of the dash. I have no idea why Toyota is hell bent on pushing the gauges toward the center of the dash. The 2013 is even further to the center than the 2008. I want my gauges in front of the steering wheel like most other cars. This may be the biggest deterrent for me were I to buy a new car. I really hate this design. I understand there are heads-up displays available but I wouldn't spend the extra for that model.
    • The gauges. While the gauges seemed to offer more options they are now too small and too far away. The 2013 has more features so I think I could get used to the 2013 gauges. I didn't care for the economy gauge, the one with the horizontal bar.
    • The head rest was too far forward. I could not comfortably sit with my head against the headrest because it made me tilt my head too far forward. From time to time I had to sit forward with my back away from the seat so I could tilt my head back relieving my neck. I considered rotating the head rest 180 degrees as I have done in a few other rental cars but I ended up tilting the seat back more than I like to compensate.
    • The center console. I see no need for the console. I don't think it adds anything. It made me feel confined and claustrophobic. I think the shift lever was better up on the dash board. I see no need for the fake shift lever that seems to resemble floor shifts.
    • The steering wheel is too low, even after I raised it to the highest position. When entering and exiting the car the wheel interfered with my legs. I understand higher model numbers have a telescoping wheel which might help. Apparently this car was a model 2.
    • The seat. I know many people complained about the 2008 model seats but they are fine for us. After a week of driving the 2013 I am convinced there is insufficient lumbar support and the headrest is too far forward for me. Returning home after a week of driving the 2013 I was glad to get into our 2008 with, to me, more comfortable seats.
    • I'd still like to see the cruise control in the steering wheel, or at least fixed in place rather than rotating. After five years I still have trouble finding the cruise control stick. The directional signal arm and the windshield wiper arm are both fixed in place. I don't understand Toyota's decision to have the cruise stick rotate with the wheel.
    Things I liked
    • Better fuel economy. This is 80% of the reason we bought the Prius and I laugh when I see ads for other cars touting 30+ mpg. We get between 46 and 52 and have never had a tank below 40 mpg even while we had low MPG tires on the car.
    • The cruise control is much improved. It doesn't forget the speed I last used even after I stopped at a traffic signal – much appreciated. There is now an indicator showing the cruise control is engaged and operating – much appreciated.
    • Seat height adjustment, although I had to keep the seat lower than I liked because the steering wheel is too low.
    • Bluetooth. I guess the 2008 models had that option but not our car. I was pleased not to have to connect my iPod Touch to the car with a cable, and also that I could control the iPod Touch from the screen.
    • Steering wheel controls for the display

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good eye. I agree with you that 3rd gen dash / controls are unrefined and they don't impress me too much.

I've found 3rd gen seat pretty good. How much did you have the seatback reclined? Can't put 3rd seatback too upright because ...

The 3rd gen seat cushion (bottom) has a lot more tilt than that in the 2nd gen (front edge up higher), pretty sure this is true at most height adjustments. This is good for thigh support, but I've found the seatback must be reclined enough to get enough seat bottom to seatback angle. If seatback is too far forward, this might happen:

* Headrest may jut into back of head
    * Too much pressure on thighs, feels sort of like sitting in a hole
    * Could cause lumbar support problems

For taller people, trick with reclining the seatback is limited telescoping wheel range (i.e. hard to reach the wheel).
    tilt range also very limited.

----------
    I don't know if you rely on using the door armrest. I do (why else is it there?) I've found Prius door armrest to be about 2 inches lower than that in Camry. I have to go to Toyota for rattle issue and will be looking at Corolla, etc also. I'm using 1 1/2" foam block on armrest in mine which makes sense because it's so much lower than Camry and I think most other cars.

I agree with you a lot about the center gages. I don't like them. I like digital gages up high, especially speedo, but I would prefer a 'driver centric' set of gages, more like Civic (speedo centered up high, other gages through the steering wheel).

If they are making center gages to save on costs to slightly move gage set from LHD to RHD cars, well, ok, but, all cars have LHD, RHD models and they suck up the costs.

Other thing is, who the heck is following the Prius trend in centered gages? Mini? Who cares. I think virtually all other high selling cars have gages in front of the driver.

I know the headrest is a personal thing, but is there any chance the seatback may have been too far forward? When seatback is more upright, headrest will jut into the head more, when more reclined, it moves back....

FWIW, I think it's good to have the seatback slightly reclinced because it takes some the weight off the butt and distributes it onto the back which I'm quite sure decreases lower back pressure....

however, reclining the seatback in Prius is not so easy because the steering wheel telescopes very little. btw, all 3rd gen Prius have telescoping steering wheel (that does not favor tall drivers).

I'm not crazy about the floating bridge / waterfall console. They ought to make a standard center console found in most other cars and ultimately people will like it better - Civic is a good example, except I like foot parking brake.

Ah, the good 'ole Prius steering wheel - tilt and telescopic range of adjustment is scant, not much there. Duly noted years ago by Edmunds, Consumer Reports. All 3rd gen's have telescopic which benefits the shortest driver's the most, tall people get screwed.

I'm thinking you might be under 6ft tall. At 6'2" 2nd gen seating was a nightmare for me:
    * seat very small
    * no height ajustment, seat cusion very flat, no thigh support
    * no telescopic steering wheel
    * brake pedal bit too far to left
    * seat bottom side bolsters were too hard, jutting into my hips
    * upper seatback small, not supportive for shoulders.
    * seat permanently set too high in car, top of windshield / roof block upward view, have to duck to see
    * dash generally weird in 2nd gen, not appealing to me

3. outhouse

outhouse Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Atleast you can only find personal opinions to discount the car.

Most manufacturers, are not that lucky.

I dont think they ever intended to make everyone happy. It may not be the best choice for you if your that disatisfied.

I like

MPG
    the ride quality
    power
    quiet
    handling
    reliability
    room

4. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1 (y) (y)

5. ToddofWaco

ToddofWaco Junior Member

Yesterday was my first time riding or driving in a Prius and I bought it. One thing you all mentioned is not liking the gauges off center. I like this in the car. In other cars it seems the steering wheel is always blocking some part of the info I want to see. Not a problem in this car. I was pleasantly surprised in how the car rode and also the quietness of the car. I was expecting much harsher ride and lots of road noise. I did test drive a Prius C also before coming to the conclusion the Prius III was right for me. Much more room inside.

6. Spaz

Spaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can see where you guys are coming from with the center mounted gauges. The only reason I don't mind them is because they are integrated into the rounded style. In other words, it's a good execution on a bad idea. Just out of curiosity though, how tall are you guys? It seems like alot of the problems you have would be associated with the taller kind. I'm 5'4 which I know is short but I fit in the car perfectly.

7. Jzerocsk

Jzerocsk Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I really like the center instrument pod, although in the v-wagon it is almost dead center of the car (in the regular Prius and Prius-c it as at least biased towards the driver so that you don't have to look quite so far to see it). It's nice not ever having the steering wheel obstructing my view, and I really like the "clean" look given by the empty space behind the steering wheel (somewhat unique to the v-wagon since the others have a contour line that sweeps down from the cluster).

I agree with Cycledrum about the Civic dashboard...the information you use the most (speed and fuel) up above the steering wheel, right in front of the driver. That's probably the ideal setup.