1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius scary noise at Cold start.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Msuddin, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Msuddin

Msuddin New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

New to this and Prius. 2013.. Brought it brand new. Just sitting 13k miles on it.

Over the time, at cold start the engine made this scary banging sound like it's gonna fly out of car.

Please listen to this at youtube:

I am worried. Can someone please tell me what's going on and what I should do?

Second: even the day I drove out of dealer the brake didn't feel as if the car is new. I have to depress the break hard (push to floor).

Please kindly help - Thank you!

2. Yaesu

Yaesu Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Our Prius will knock at start up sometimes, particularly if the engine hasn't had an opportunity to warm up once it starts. The next time it starts is when it will knock. But yours sounds much louder.

3. Msuddin

Msuddin New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I worked with rental car company for 5years. Never heard this. Found it to be very scary "really got scared lol"

Trade mine in for 2017 highlander hybrid xle (lost 18k). But saved my back.

Good luck those who facing this issue.

bisco likes this.
  4. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    you are not alone. this is a known issue by toyota, of which a TSB was issued, of which the TSB did not correct.
    My guess is before this occurs you move the car a short distance, out of a garage, or out to the road without the car being able to completely warm up. Once this happens in colder weather the knocking will occur on the next start up.
    Read here for more info
    NEW!!! Service Bulletin for Engine Knocking at Startup T-SB 0012-10 | PriusChat

1stTimerPrius and bisco like this.
  5. Msuddin

Msuddin New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Still I got really scared -- so trade mine in.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here, surprised you bought another piece of junk toyota.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    while concerning its an issue Toyota knows about, can recreate and impacts nearly every Prius. So i'm going to go ahead and place my faith in Toyota engineers that its a non issue in the long term engine health of the car.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mine and my moms prius also do this in the winter. My moms only got like 40 000 miles on it, mine got closer to 200 000 (its been a taxi). And mine is still alive, so i dont think its anything thats unnormal or dangerous

9. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine has made that ugly noise twice now when starting on a cooler morming....and now to think about it, both times were after I had previously moved the card from one parking spot to another. Hmmmmm. Note to self, don't turn off car until the ICE shuts itself off.

Simtronic likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly.

11. K8A

K8A New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  12. 1stTimerPrius

1stTimerPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    This was precisely the case. I moved it yesterday and today it made the knock. 118K miles on the car and never ever heard it before today. Thank you eliteconcept

bisco likes this.
  13. Synergistic

Synergistic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have a 2012 Toyota Prius v. Just went to turn it on and it made a loud 'scary' noise. Mechanic doesn't open for twenty minutes, and he's 250 miles away. I did not move the car in electric mode before parking it yesterday evening. Perhaps unwisely, I immediately turned the car off - like within seconds. I will turn it on again when the mechanic asks me to when I call in.

For the record, I think I searched for 'loud thumping noise when turning on Prius' but I immediately clicked into this thread. I don't believe the car had that TSB done - I bought it used but have the entire dealer service history. 77k miles now (bought it two months ago at 70k) and this is the first time it's done something I don't like. Fwiw, it's 57f outside.

14. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Does it sound like this?

This was mine with a dead cylinder

15. Synergistic

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It did indeed sound a lot like that, but fortunately it went away after perhaps ten seconds. Then I remembered that I'd gone outside to make a phone call the night before, and sat in the car (with it running) for about twenty minutes. I knew I hadn't moved it, but running it to sit in had slipped my mind.

I will have to see if my car is eligible for the TSB service that doesn't really work =p

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    running it for 20 minutes wouldn't cause it. running it for 20 seconds might.

17. akgardengirl

akgardengirl Junior Member

My 2012 has a quick grinding sound when starting. Happens in mostly cooler weather with dampness possibly playing a role too. It's random and doesn't happen on every start but it's been doing it since brand new.

18. Synergistic

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if I've experienced the grinding sound. This was LOUD, thumpy, and honestly scary isn't an unreasonable term for it. I'm crazy grateful it's 'normal' and hopefully easily avoided.

19. Synergistic

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to remember if I perhaps had some reason to briefly turn it back on after the phone call. Nothing comes to mind but it's possible I did it on autopilot and just didn't log it to memory.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what can cause detonation (the sound you're hearing) is incomplete combustion. this can happen when you turn the car off during the warm up cycle. unburned hydrocarbons sit in the intake manifold and the next time you turn it on, bang, bang, bang.

the other issue may be a clogged egr