1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius - speaker upgrade help/questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by psteudlein, Dec 27, 2013.

1. psteudlein

psteudlein New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I am a noob with this audio stuff and have read several postings and now have questions.
    I have a 2013 Prius One with non-jBL system. At this time, I just want to upgrade the speakers which I believe I can do...basic stuff.
    I want to just use the stock HU and existing wires and at least replace the front door speakers and maybe the squakers in the dash.
    From my reading I know the front door can be replaced with 6x9s. I get lost when people start talking about 2 or 4ohms. I do like bass but do not need car rattling bass.

Questions:
    1) Do I need to worry about 2ohm or 4ohm when just relplacing those speakers?
    2) For the front door speakers, should I use 2-way or component? One guy said to stick with component for the front doors.
    3) I read on one post that the dash speakers have a high pass filter and then the entire signal goes to the front door speakers, correct?
    4) Can I just replace the dash speakers with any small tweaker speaker and does it need to have its own high pass filter on it? Is it as simple as moving the wires from the old stock speaker to the new one?
    5) Is dynamat worth the cost to put in the front/rear doors?
    6) Will any 6x9 speaker fit in the front door, using the existing bracket/mold or new adapter?

Just a basic new/noob guy trying to make the system sound better.
    Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

2. Skunkworks

Skunkworks Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Honestly I would replace the head unit first, then decide what speakers you want to replace, the stock unit is likely putting out 12 watts of crappy signal...

To answer the rest of the questions.

1. Yes you should match the ohms

2. You can do a 2 way, I like separates a plate in the door with a 6.5 good separate would sound nice. If you have no plans to add a sub than a nice set of 6x9s would be awesome.

3. I think that's on the premium systems only, don't quote me on that...

4. A nice 3.5 would sound pretty good.

5. Dynamite and other dampening is probably the best product for the money to get better sound. Just do the inner skin of the door. It will take 2 sheets. We'll worth it. If you can swing the $300-600 bucks do the whole car.... Buy it online for the biggest discount.....

6. You need to keep depth in mind. Crutchfield or maybe someone here can give you a measurement...

A good head unit is a must. You might consider a sub for the prius, it makes a huge difference.

3. psteudlein

psteudlein New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the feedback, but at this time I only can/want to replace the speakers.

One of my main questions is regarding the front door speaker...do I use a 2-way or component?

Are the original front door speakers really just for the lows, like sub-woofers?

4. JGI

JGI Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Questions:
    1) Do I need to worry about 2ohm or 4ohm when just relplacing those speakers?

-Yes, you should go with 4 ohm so it's the same as the stock one. FWIW, I don't think I've ever seen a 2 ohm comp set (unless you wire a 4 ohm tweet and 4 ohm mid in parallel).

2) For the front door speakers, should I use 2-way or component? One guy said to stick with component for the front doors.
    -When you say "components", it means you have a separate woofer and tweeter. The all-in-ones are called "Coaxials". Both can be 2-ways, especially comps but coaxes can be 3 way units. I personally like components with outboard crossover. The advantage of comp sets is that you can place the tweeters on the dash to elevate the sound stage. The outboard Xover is also more customizable so you can cleanly separate the highs and lows. Coaxials are all-in-one units and usually not as high quality as Components. I have an old school MB Quart PSD's up front and Infinity Reference Coax in the rear doors. I love how my system sounds!

3) I read on one post that the dash speakers have a high pass filter and then the entire signal goes to the front door speakers, correct?
    -The dash tweeter has a capacitor that serves as a high pass Xover. Unlike traditional cars, the Prius signal goes to the tweeter FIRST, then an unfiltered full-range signal goes to the woofer.

4) Can I just replace the dash speakers with any small tweaker speaker and does it need to have its own high pass filter on it? Is it as simple as moving the wires from the old stock speaker to the new one?
    -You can, but without a high pass filter, your HU will force a full range signal into that tiny speaker and it it will distort it. You should just buy a Component set and put the tweeter in the dash and mids in the doors.

5) Is dynamat worth the cost to put in the front/rear doors?
    -I think so... but Dynamat is a little expensive. There are some cheaper alternatives out there that are just as good: Second Skin is a good alternative that comes to mind.

6) Will any 6x9 speaker fit in the front door, using the existing bracket/mold or new adapter?

There is no existing bracket.. the stock 6x9 is affixed with rivets. You'll have to drill them out and use your own brackets. If you buy your speakers from Crutchfield, they'll send you free brackets that'll fit in your car.

5. JGI

JGI Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is what I initially did..... I just replaced the stock speakers with MB Quart components. Even though I'm only using the factory HU to power them, the difference was astounding compared to the stock speakers. For most people, this is adequate.. but sooner or later you'll realize that you'll want an amp to power your speakers. The factory HU maxes out at 62 and I always find myself at 50+ with the components and the music just isn't loud enough, already clipping, and didn't have the dynamic range. I bought a JL Audio XD700/5 to push the components and the difference is night and day. Music is crystal clear with lots of power and dynamic range during those peak musical bursts... something the stock HU cannot deliver.

My suggestion is go for a quality component set (which is 2-way). I think you're confusing "2-way" with "Coaxials".

With Components, you get clean separation of highs and lows, and the sound is cleaner, crisper, and more defined. The outboard crossover also allows you to fine tune your components, especially if the tweeters are too bright and you want to attenuate them or set X-over points.

hw30_ likes this.
  6. Hortevin

Hortevin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another much simple way is order the Alpine special speaker kit custom for Prius 3 without JBL :

[​IMG]

So no special bracket is needed.

With this kit and sound damping, il will be quite enough for an Audio beginner. And if it is not good as expected, add a slim Subwoofer.

7. Skunkworks

Skunkworks Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is the above genuine alpine???

8. Hortevin

Hortevin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand your question?

It is an Alpine genuine product made for Prius 3...

9. Skunkworks

Skunkworks Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The question was, did Alpine manufacture a vehicle specific upgrade for the prius? I called Alpine, they don't manufacture such an item.

10. MikeInOrlando

MikeInOrlando Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three