1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius threw C1256 DTC, need advice

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by swineone, Jul 25, 2019.

1. swineone

swineone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I own a 2013 Prius that threw the dreaded C1256 DTC. When stepping on the brakes I get a hissing noise, and it's also doing the buzzing noise all the time (it didn't do this before), which I believe to be the brake booster pump running.

I took it to the dealership and they wanted to charge ~$3500 to replace the brake booster assembly. Thanks to the threads here I found out about the CSP-ZJB warranty enhancement, which apparently wasn't mailed to anyone here in Brazil. Still, armed with a copy of it as well as T-SB-0024-19, I got the dealership to offer me a "courtesy" repair, so long as I replaced some other brake components with them as well (I had them replaced by non-OEM ones at a local mechanic less than a year ago). I decided not to push my luck arguing with them, since this meant a $400 cost instead of $3500.

Still, from reading T-SB-0024-19, I understand they should replace the original part (PN 47050-47190) with a new part number, 04008-11447, which I assume is a redesigned part without the failure that plagued PN 47050-47190. However, the dealership says they're replacing it with another 47050-47190 part.

I wanted to check it with you guys here whether my understanding is correct and they should have replaced it with a fixed part with PN 04008-11447. Otherwise, they're just replacing it with another potentially faulty part which may break again at some point. If that really is the case, then I'm taking this up with the local consumer advocacy government agency, and if nothing comes out of this, then I will have to (very regretfully) put this Prius up for sale, as I don't want to be around when this blows up again, and have to risk a $3500 repair if Toyota decides not to offer another "courtesy" repair this time.

Can anyone confirm my understanding about PN 04008-11447 being a fixed version of the faulty PN 47050-47190? Thanks.

Mauro Max and bisco like this.
  2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    400 is better than 3500

3. swineone

swineone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fully agree, which is why I authorized the repair.

What I really want to know, though, is whether Toyota is putting a part back with the same faulty design, which over time will just fail exactly like the factory one did. If that is the case, and if I can't get it solved by any other means, then I can't in good conscience keep this ticking time bomb in my hands, and will have to put it up for sale.

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you going to tell the buyer about the brake booster?

5. swineone

swineone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the buyer asks specific questions about maintenance performed on my car, sure I will answer them truthfully.

If he doesn’t, well, I don’t see why I should alert him to an issue that affects ALL 3rd generation Priuses (if you disagree, look up how many 2011-2015 Priuses were affected by CSP-ZJB in the US and how many were sold — the numbers essentially match). If anything, he’s in a better situation with my car, seeing as its brake booster is new rather than 6 years old with 60k miles on it.

So yeah, come to think of it, maybe I should indeed alert the buyer. If he really wants a second-hand Prius then he’ll be made aware that my car is likely to fail later, if at all.

6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It would all depend on how honest you are and if you would want someone to do the same to you. :)

7. Mauro Max

Mauro Max New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have this same problem Toyota do Brasil is refusing to recognize the need for a free exchange, as well as the general recall ... how to get the free exchange ... help me

estou com esse mesmo problema a Toyota do Brasil esta se negando a reconhecer a necessidade da troca gratuita, bem como o recall geral... como conseguir a troca gratuita... me ajude