1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius Two battery maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mergoat, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Mergoat

Mergoat New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm looking into buying a 2013 Prius Two with 85k miles

I was wondering if someone could help explain the maintenance on the battery. What I got from Google is that the battery is comprised of six cells which can be replaced to lengthen the life of the overall battery

So if I get a message saying the battery needs to be replaced, instead of buying a new battery, I can purchase the cells and replace them

The dealership I talked to said the cells can be replaced for 200 each

But what can y'all tell me about this? Is it really that simple and cheap?

I want to buy it because the Prius was ranked #1 for delivering in and the gas mileage is phenomenal

I also don't want to worry about any major work on it for a few months. I've never owned a hybrid, but the only thing that seems daunting is the battery. I don't think it'll have a warranty for the battery and I'm not sure what my insurance could cover

Just any and all information relating to the battery and cells, what to look for when I look at the car on the fifteenth. I'm sure there's a gold mine of information to be had here

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would not call repairing a high voltage battery simple or the fix reliable. But it can be done. Most of your information on the battery is off and many of us think there are bigger issues than the battery with the 2010-2013 Prius. Check this video on the battery. Don't expect to diy a high voltage battery until you understand what this guy is teaching.

Issues
    3 Reasons To Steer Clear Of A 2010-2013 Toyota Prius | Torque News

#2 rjparker, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's good that you came here first. start with research on the egr valve and circuit, and blown head gaskets around 100,000 miles. that is the first concern, replacing the engine.

when the battery needs to be replaced, you won't get a message, you will get a trouble light. then you will need an expensive analysis to read the code and determine the path forward, unless you buy and learn to use a prius aware trouble code reader.

once you determine you need a new battery, you can buy a replacement for $1,600. and install yourself, or pay someone hundreds more to do the work. a dealer is usually much more expensive, and you were lied to, they don't replace modules. i was told the same thing when i bought my first prius in 2004.

if you want to learn how to diagnose modules, replace them and rebalnce the battery, it is a huge undertaking, and a labor of love.
    prius will never save you money in gas savings, but it does reduce pollution for your neighbor.

all the best!

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    run far far away from google.