1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius Two Rear Camera Upgrade - DIY

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by qdllc, Mar 21, 2015.

1. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet and install a rear-view camera on the Prius Two.

I don't know if we can promote products, but I went with the Toyota Rear Backup Camera Kit for Camry, Corolla, Prius, Rav4 (2012, 2013, 2014) on Amazon and sold by PYvideo. This unit looks exactly like OEM, and it's only $120 (more or less), as compared to the one sold on JuicedHybrid which is more expensive and looks like an aftermarket product. I also paid $7 and some change for the Car Radio Stereo, Dash Removal Install Tools (Set of 12) that was listed as often purchased with this item. Yeah, it's a bundle of plastic tools made in China, but I think it's money well-spent if you don't have specialty tools for taking apart body panels.

You should buy 2-3 packs of zip-ties (they don't give you nearly enough) and some red wire terminals (pictured later) and a terminal-crimping tool if you don't already have one. You'll need some duct tape and electrical tape as well. Oh, and you'll also need something to run wire with. I used a scrap piece of heavy-gauge household wiring (thick but still flexible).

PYvideo has a YouTube video showing you how the install goes. If you don't have broadband where you will be doing the install, I have a downloaded copy on Box you can download and play offline here.

Now for the install....

I took some pics of removed panels so you can see how many attachments you are trying to undo. These panels came off easier than I feared, and I was glad I bought the specialty tools. I would not have felt comfortable trying to rip them off with my bare hands or pry them loose with a common flat-head screwdriver.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Next, you have to remove the plastic cap they insert where the camera normally would mount. Ignore the video's suggestions. I live by the "measure twice, cut once, STILL MESS IT UP" philosophy. :rolleyes:

I got a respectable, but small, drill bit that was way smaller than the size needed to run the camera's post through. I used this to make a big enough hole in the cap to run a piece of old coat hanger and pull it free. In spite of this, I needed to work with the other tools quite a bit to finally get it loose. Once you get one side's clip to clear the rest is easy.

05.jpg

The video (and instructions) are pretty lax here. You think it is best to put the hole right in the center, and that does work fine, but I'd suggest a tad more towards the "back" of the piece (the flat side...as illustrated by the pink X).

06.jpg

07.jpg

To get to the correct size hole, I simply re-drilled with larger and larger bits until the desired size was achieved. DO NOT trust the video's example. The post on your model may not be the same. This one came with a narrow post. Had I just drilled the hole with the suggested bit without looking first, it would have been a disaster.

08.jpg

You can see here why I say make the hole a touch more towards the back of the piece. Thankfully, the end result looks a lot better than you would think from the next photo. :cool:

09.jpg

There was no real way to get a good photo of this, but running the wire back through the hole for the left side license plate light took some effort. There's no real room to work with, so getting the lamp assembly back in place takes some work (and prying with one of the plastic tools) so that the locking tabs fully engage. You then run the wires along the harness to the rubber hose connecting the rear hatch to the cabin side.

10.jpg

The top side just pulls out. The bottom side has this 4-way locking connection that is a WITCH (with a capital "B") to remove. Unless you have a special tool or really tiny hands, all you can do is work at it. A fingernail/fingertip can depress a tab and make it unlock, but doing all 4 at the same time is impossible. I probably spent 10 minutes slowly working with one of the plastic tools to keep pressure on ejecting it from the hole as I tried to reach the different tabs. If you can get either one on the short side (left/right) to come free, then doing one on the long side makes it pop free.

11.jpg

Here is the biggest place to be careful. The video says to use some silicone lube on your wire guide to bring it through the boot. You use some electrical tape to keep the video wire attached as you guide it through. I was wondering why I couldn't make it clear that last inch of the boot. I peeled the boot back and saw the video wire was caught on another wire. I had to back it up a bit and gently push the wire out of the way to get it to go through. DO NOT TRY AND FORCE ANYTHING DURING THIS INSTALL.

From there, you are supposed to run the wire as shown to the front of the Prius. This is simpler that you'd think, and I'm glad that the "door seals" just press in and pull off. I was afraid I was going to do some permanent damage (many older cars have them glued on). I did spend some time finessing the routing from the boot to the left side of the car. There's an airbag there, and I had to route the wire behind/under it.

12.jpg

In spite of the instructions and video, I only had to crimp-connect two red wires and attach the RCA yellow connector. Indeed, this kit came with most wiring already pre-connected, and at this point, you're just connecting the wire-run to the T-connection that goes into your head unit.

13.jpg

Don't forget to secure the connections with electrical tape. You don't want these coming loose. :confused:

There's existing wire harness behind the head unit you can use to secure the excess wiring to with zip-ties.

14.jpg

As you can see, the end result looks very clean and OEM.

15.jpg

16.jpg

And VOILA (a French word that means "voila"), your Prius Two now has a fully-functional OEM-style reverse camera. :cool:

17.jpg

#1 qdllc, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice DIY instructional pics!

3. Sean Callahan

Sean Callahan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great write up, makes me want to do mine now!

4. BPZVW30

BPZVW30 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nicely done. Let me guess, Blind Spot Monitor is next?

5. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Great job. Looks just like an OEM. Just what you need on a Prius because of the blind spots. Need one on all cars really.

6. evanlan

evanlan New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,
    Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but my question is directly related to this install. I installed the same camera yesterday, and everything went fine, but I'm not sure that I correctly replaced the lower part of the rubber boot for the wires that run from the hatch to the frame. Is it supposed to tuck into the frame? and if so, how do you get the plastic piece clipped in properly? I'm talking about the WITCH that qdllc mentioned in the paragraph between pics 10 and 11. I've added a pic.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

7. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're not really supposed to pull the rubber boot off the plastic insert. Rather, you're supposed to unsnap the plastic insert from the roof. Whichever the case, I managed to fish the wire through the booth without detaching the boot at all.

upload_2016-10-14_12-57-40.png

I got this screen grab from the Youtube video:

Jonathan Collett and evanlan like this.
  8. evanlan

evanlan New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, Dylan! The picture and your line about "not really supposed to pull the rubber boot off," helped me understand.
    For anyone who comes across this later- the lower part of the boot does not go into the frame. The top of the plastic piece goes inside the boot, and then when you clip the plastic piece back into the frame, the boot is pulled down tight around (the outside of) it, thereby creating the seal.

What a great community this is!

Jonathan Collett and Dylan Doxey like this.