1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius Two vs. 2017 Corolla LE

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Thomas 90, May 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Thomas 90

Thomas 90 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I'm 26 yrs old. I love Toyota vehicles. I've been driving a 2000 Camry since '08. I'm looking to purchase either a 2013 Prius Two Toyota Certified Pre-Owned with 32,392 miles for $15,5k. The local dealership was able to offer me a new 2017 Corolla LE for a near identical price. I'm torn between the two cars mainly because of Prius fuel savings vs Corolla Safety Sense technology standard.

I'm concerned gas prices will eventually go up. For this reason, I'm strongly considering a '13 Prius. But, the new technology offered in the 2017 Corolla is tempting.

I've considered Mpg, safety features, cabin tech, Resale value, maintenance, and reliability. Any other factors worth noting?

What are the Pros and Cons of each vehicle? Will the 2017 Corolla hold a higher resale value than a 2013 Prius after 7-9 years?

Thanks everyone for your feedback,

Thomas

2. Angela Marie Green

Angela Marie Green New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi. I recommend you get the car you will enjoy the most, sounds like the camry. The dealership I used told me they don't install the cameras, but they gave me a recommendation.

I would only recommend the Prius to you if you are struggling financially. If you're not, enjoy life!

RCO and Thomas 90 like this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well in this case, I would favour the Corolla.

• This generation of Corolla came out in 2014 so it's still relatively new (body structure, safety standards)
    • Has TSS-P. Once you have radar cruise control, you don't want to go back. I have it in my 2010 Prius and it's awesome. The Corolla's DRCC is more advanced as it will bring the car down to 0mph (e.g. if there's a jam on the freeway).
    • It's a spacious car. It's no longer a cramped economy car
    • LED low beams as standard equipment (Multi-beam LED if you opt for the XSE). The halogens on the Gen 3 Prius are pretty good for halogens but LEDs are better.
    • It's really economical. I've driven the 2014 Corolla and used cruise control on a flat road to get some FE numbers. At 38mph, it got 60mpg. At 50 mph, 50 mpg. At 62 mph, 42.7 mpg. In mostly city driving, 32.7mpg. In mixed city/hwy (hwy was a mountain road), the tank average was 35.6 mpg. Ok yes it's not the same as the Prius' 45-50 mpg in the city or highway but depending on your commute, you can get some great numbers.
    • With the Corolla, you can keep it as long as you want to. A friend of mine's mother still drives her 1990 Corolla LE 5-spd manual as her daily driver. I still see 92-97 Corollas on the road. You choose when you want to upgrade with a car like the Corolla. Maintenance is also as inexpensive as it's going to get.
    • The 2017 Corolla has the latest 6.1" Display Audio system with better graphics and a faster processor. The 2013 Prius has a, umm, well it has a 6.1" Display Audio system by HK with Garmin-like graphics. It's ok.
    • Oh and Toyota regularly has great deals on Corollas (whether it's cash discounts or 0% financing so wait for those)
    • The Corolla is quieter on the highway than the 2013 Prius

The Prius has its merits so I'll list those

• Way better city fuel economy
    • Depreciation is already taken care of (though I'd try to negotiate a bit off the listed price)
    • Hatchback flexibility - more useful than a trunk if you're in the stage of life where you're carrying large things (like a bike or a snowboard or moving stuff around)
    • I prefer the CVT in the Prius than the one in the Corolla (based on my 2014 Corolla driving experience).
    • If gas spikes to $3 or $4/gal, your expenses will increase much slower than with the Corolla
    • You'll save money on brake pads. We never changed the brake pads on our 2005 Prius. They last so long because of regenerative braking
    • Tires are cheaper on the Prius (15" vs. 16" on the Corolla LE)
    • You may have to replace the HV battery some day but we're talking many, many years down the road (you could be looking for a new car by then for all we know). The warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles so check the in-service date of the Prius and add 8 years to that for the end date of the hybrid battery warranty. After that, budget about $3,000 for parts/labour/taxes for a replacement of a *new* battery. (You can take the refurbished route as well or salvage route to save on the cost of parts). You probably won't need it but with any car, put money aside for repairs. You can then choose to use the money to repair the car or use it as a downpayment of a new vehicle when the time comes :)

RCO, snead_c, ePWR and 2 others like this.
  4. Thomas 90

Thomas 90 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, Tideland! Your advice was thorough and sound. All my concerns were addressed. I can now make my decision with peace of mind. Have a great day!

Thomas

RCO and Tideland Prius like this.
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    One very important thing (here in Texas) not mentioned so far is the a/c. The corolla has 4 fewer summers of use on its HVAC system (along with everything else); actually we use it nearly year around. The safety systems should also help with insurance on a younger driver such as yourself.

At current gas prices using the EPA fuel calculator, you'll save about $400 year on gas with the C. You'll most likely need an HV battery ($4,000 in rip-off dealer dollars) before 7-9 years (12-14 year old modules by then).

DRCC would be deciding factor for me if I did any kind of heavy traffic commuting. Actually, I'd still go with the corolla. New financing should be much better too eating into the fuel savings of the c.

RCO likes this.
  6. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All the safety features Toyota put into every 2017 model would lean me toward the Corolla in your situation. Both vehicles have a solid history of low maintenance and high residual value. From my perspective, the Prius would get better fuel economy, but the Corolla could save your life, and that would be the deciding factor.

7. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I put my daughter in a Corolla (admittedly, used and not a 2017, but it is a great car!)

The 4 years difference in wear and tear, plus the safety new features, should gives it an edge for you.

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Were those mpg numbers Imperial or US? The original poster is in Texas and you are slightly north of that :D

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    US. I converted from L/100km. I almost never use Imp. MPG (except when talking with our UK members).

I prefer to use L/100km as there is no ambiguity in its value. (The only issue is that it only has one decimal place. I prefer two as one gets washed out in rounding errors easily. US MPG is a finer scale)

Prodigyplace and Merkey like this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought I remembered you saying Canadian marketing uses both metric and imperial measurements. That triggered my question.

RCO likes this.
  11. ePWR

ePWR Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is the Corolla being redesigned for 2018? Like the Camry?

I was very, very close to buying the 2016 Corolla. And I could have saved $8,000 over my Prius which would have bought me a LOT of gas. I finally opted for the Prius only because I wanted something different looking. And I wanted to experience the technology. But I still like the Corolla very much. (I even like the Corolla seats better.) Now my "hybrid" is 16 months old, and there is nothing exciting about it. Very good vehicle (so far) and gets great gas mileage, but it's still just a car. Driven like any other car. I didn't buy it for the "culture" or to make any kind of environmental statement.

I could have saved 8 grand. Enjoying the new Prius but do have some (financial) regrets. The Corolla would get me from point A to point B just as well.

#11 ePWR, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is correct. The "MPG" figure listed in any Canadian brochure is imperial MPG. However, in all ads and marketing material, L/100km is used. Imp. MPG right now is just a legacy item for those who still use imperial MPG.

So remember, if the U.S. ever decides to switch to metric, it will not be instantaneous. It's been nearly 50 years since Canada went to metric and some things (like Imp. MPG) are still around. That being said, it's ok to use either (lbs. versus kg) but there can be advantages. We still use hp/lb-ft for power measurement rather than kW/Nm for example.

Likely not. 2018 would be the 5th year of this current generation so it won't be until 2019 at the earliest. It'll depend on when the factory in Mexico will be up and running as this will be the last generation of Corolla built in Canada for North America consumption.

RCO likes this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's been that long? I guess I am getting old since I remember the beginnings of that conversion.
    I had one car during that time where the speedometer metric numbers were blue. That was fine during the day, but the metric numbers became invisible with the blue dash lighting. I ended up purchasing an aftermarket sticker that had yellow metric numbers to fix the issue.

RCO and Tideland Prius like this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah during the 1970s under the older Trudeau.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Older & wiser? (at least sometimes...) :D
    I moved south in 1980.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You Canadians are good enough, but you have to be a Brit. to really mix up your measurements. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You gonna "stone" me now? :LOL:

Tideland Prius likes this.
  19. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends. Are you wearing your maple leaf or star spangled banner?
    Either way, I guess not as your booth on my friend list. (y)

20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess I need to stop correcting your typoes then. (I think you meant you're both)