1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius V Engine Knock/Spontaneous revving

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Salazarr, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Salazarr

Salazarr New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Well it seems the engine knock on start up is fairly common, but cannot find a cause or solution to my problem.

I have a 2013 Prius V five that just started the knock during the start up cycle. Also I'm getting revving from the ICE during operation.

The knock started on a chilly 40 degree morning and now happens on every start up regardless of air temp.

The engine revving happens while the vehicle is in gear intermittently between 5 and 35 MPH mostly when the EV light in on. Happens at all levels of battery charge.

I ran diagnostics and received the following codes: P0101, P0171, P0441, P3191

I cleaned the MAF and Throttle bodies getting rid of the P0441, and P3191 codes however the other two still remain.

Any ideas?

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

The P0101 is a MAF code as well.

Can you give us some background:

• Miles on your Prius
    • Any history of damage or accidents
    • Any maintenance recently performed
    • When you cleaned the MAF sensor, what did it look like before and after
    • Did cleaning the MAF sensor remove the reviving issues, or are they still present
    • Have you looked for any loose intake hoses as it could be a vacuum leak, given the suddenness and continued issue.
    I have P0171 intermittently coming in during the summer months when it is hot out. We have 166 k miles on our 2010. I do not have a noticeable difference in performance when the code displays. I have also cleaned the MAF sensor and took a slight buildup off of it. If it sets when I need to get it snugged, my next move is to replace the MAF sensor.

Keep us posted (y).

3. Salazarr

Salazarr New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Just turned 90k yesterday, no damage or accidents. Most recent maintenance was an oil change in August at 87k. When I cleaned the MAF I didn't notice much of any residue come off it. The throttlebody was quite clean too. I've checked loose hoses, but did not do a very thorough inspection. I may have to take a closer look at that and the manifold. I'm fairly certain it is some type of vacuum leak, just not sure where yet. I heard the EVAP can cause this, but not sure how to check that.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The evap system has its own codes. Have you ever overfilled your Prius when getting gas?

When you cleaned the MAF, it is securely seated back in position?

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    How did you clean the MAF? I ask because some use the wrong cleaner, some touch the sensing elements.

6. Salazarr

Salazarr New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    MAF was cleaned using CRC Mass Air Flow Cleaner. It is properly seated. No change from previous condition. Just ran in a 50F rainy night and definitely ran worse in poor weather.

Don't recall over-filling the tank, and I know my wife didn't over-fill it...she never fills it period

7. Salazarr

Salazarr New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Noticed something interesting today. When the engine does its weird rev it will not allow me to switch into EV mode even at a complete stop.