1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius v Five PCS Button?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gjshaffer, Nov 1, 2013.

1. gjshaffer

gjshaffer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just bought a 2013 Prius v Five with the Advanced Technology Package which includes PCS.

Page 258 of the owner's manual shows the PCS on/off button is slightly below the steering wheel. I can't find it anywhere in the car.

The dealer is trying to tell me it is part of dynamic radar cruise control. I disagree.

Can someone please help me and tell me where PCS is in this model? When do I know I have PCS (is their a PCS icon on the instrument panel? Isn't there a buzzer sound if I get too close to an object? etc.)

Many thanks!

2. Kurt E Sanders

Kurt E Sanders Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The Prius v Pre-Collision System (PCS) is enabled all the time, from what I have read in the manuals and experienced when driving my 2013 Prius v.

When the Prius v's cruise control is activated using the little lever on the right side of the steering column, you can control the PCS feature (distance to next vehicle) using the silver button located on the front of the steering wheel. Each depression of the button controls the distance the Prius v will track when a vehicle is detected in front of the car.

Should a vehicle suddenly appear in front to be on a collision course with the Prius v, the brake system will automatically start to engage, depression on the brake will be more sensitive, seat belts will tighten, and an alarm will appear on the console and also emit a sound. I have witness this when in heavy traffic and a driver swerves into my lane with a few feet and I am not paying attention.

Here are a few videos

PCS Video
    Prius v: Cruise Control

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The button is under the dash near to the re-set button for the TPS. I can't think of a good reason to turn it off.

4. gjshaffer

gjshaffer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you both for your replies! Very helpful! I found the PCS button under the dash. The PCS light is now illuminated on the instrument panel. The scary part about this is, that the mechanic at Toyota told me there was not a PCS button. Perhaps he should be promoted to the used car sales department. :) Thanks again!

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    So you know you've turned it off, right? Why?

6. gjshaffer

gjshaffer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes. I turned it back on and now understand that "no PCS light illuminated on the instrument panel" means that PCS is turned on. (Counter intuitive in my opinion) Thanks again for all your help!

7. Kurt E Sanders

Kurt E Sanders Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry, I misunderstood your question after reading the other replies. But I learned about where this button is located...so you can teach an ole dog new tricks once in a while! ;)

8. GAM

GAM Australian Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just a side note on this. I have no idea why they located the button in this position as I have on a couple of occasions accidentally turned it off when my foot accidentally bumped it (pointy toe shoes). It is rare but the fact is it can happen.
    So I have taped a bottle lid over the top of it as the last this you want it to accidentally tap it off while you are reaching for the brake in a frantic life saving maneuver.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well usually you don't want any lights on your instrument panels so that's why if PCS is on, there will be no illuminated symbols.

Take note that the PCS OFF button only turns off Pre-Collision Braking. Pre-Collision Seatbelt and Pre-Collision Brake Assist will still function.

3G Prius Features Explained | PriusChat

10. osama mohammad

osama mohammad New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  11. osama mohammad

osama mohammad New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I did not find this Stupid button:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

12. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Can you find the TPMS reset button? The PCS on/off button is next to it if your Prius v has PCS. Not all Prius v have come with PCS.