1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) coolant drain problems

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by apipolis, Aug 11, 2016.

1. apipolis

apipolis New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I recently bought a 2013 Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) from a private party. The car has been in a front end accident but it has been fixed. When buying the car, i did not notice that the coolant in it was green.

I know that prii of this year run on Toyota pink, and i have also read that mixing coolant can lead to sludging and clog your system. So now I am trying to do a total flush and refill. I already have the pink coolant and I was able to drain about 5 qt (7.3 qt total capacity) from the radiator cock. I have read the forums about the existence of an engine block cock which would allow me to drain the rest of the coolant. But no matter how much i look I can not locate it. Ive read the repair manual, and the forums, I know that is is supposed to be in the back of the engine half way up the block or so. But i just cant find it. I cant fill my car until i can do a proper flush. I really hope someone with the knowledge can help me out here because I do not know what to do at this point. Appreciate the help.

This picture is from my car, i don't seem to have the cock, but bolts instead. Does anyone know which of these two bolts is the plug that is replacing the cock in my case?

#1 apipolis, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  2. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry can't offer any help with your block drain question....

Yet, as you probably know, you can do it the hard way...continue to fill the system with water...do multiple drainings until the system's fluid runs clear. Just make sure the thermostat opens each time.

Another option is to remove the thermostat, disconnect the hoses from the radiator and use a special tool and shop air (or water) to pressurize the system to blow all the fluid out of the block.

Good luck.

Raytheeagle likes this.