1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius V needs navigation update

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by robrt, Mar 18, 2019.

1. robrt

robrt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Am I correct that I need a dvd to update the navigation map in my 5 door 2013 Prius V? I keep asking the dealer for one, but never get any response. Any ideas of how I can get the latest update? My dvd is from 2014 and out of date. Thanks.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There are two different nav systems in a Prius v depending on the model you have. The v5 is the higher end version. Either way, nav updates are only available at the dealer for a price, usually several hundred dollars. As far as I know, no one has hacked one with a duplicated nav file.

I just go to the parts counter and they give me the current price. I am sure a service adviser can do the same but I have found some advisers are not on the top of their game. Sometimes that helps if they quote a normal spark plug replacement not knowing the work it takes on a Prius, sometimes it hurts when they can't troubleshoot a failing XM preamp while its still in warranty. Both happened to me.

#2 rjparker, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Parts counter. Take a full wallet.

bisco likes this.
  4. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The map update is not on DVD. Both 2012-2014 Prius v navigation systems are updated by a Toyota dealer tech using proprietary software. When you buy an update for these systems, you are buying only an activation card that has a code that the dealer tech enters during the update process.

When we had the navigation in my wife's 2012 Prius v Five/ATP updated in early 2017, I bought the activation card through the Costco Auto Program for $143.65 (retail was $169) and then paid $40 for the labor it took to do do the update - both amounts exclude tax.