1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 prius v with stalling sensation

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Soniasmall1021, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Soniasmall1021

Soniasmall1021 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Hello all. I have a problem that I can't seem to find an answer for. Sorry this is a little long, but i want to make it as detailed as possible.

My prius v in the last month had started to act like it was stalling on me when it would change over from the electric to gas while accelerating from a stop. It kinda stalled out once when I was coming out of a driveway. So it sputtered and jerked but didn't cut out, almost like a manual transmission when you aren't coordinating the gas and clutch right. At that point I turned it off and back on and it was fine. All of these times I had the ac on and fan was on high. When I turn the ac off the car accelerates fine. And it is only when the battery would be down and it kicks the gas engine on.
    I took it to the dealer and they said it needs spark plugs, all fluids switched out and the throttle body cleaned.
    I changed the spark plugs and it was running great again like it should. That was 4 days ago. Today it is rainy and hot, so I had the ac on all day, and then I turned the defrost on and the fan was on full blast. I came to a stop, that's when I turned the defrost on, and when I went to pull off the car started to go then stopped. Still on, but not accelerating. I put my foot on the brake and try to pull off again, same thing happened. Almost feels like a belt slippage, but from what I read there are no belts. At this point I am in the middle of an intersection and have to move, so I turn the defrost and fan completely off. The battery is down and the engine kicks on and then I am able to take off at that point. It was fine the rest of the way home with the fan on low.
    Any ideas to what this might be?
    Oh and I bought it about 2 years ago with 135000. It now has 203000
    Thanks for any help!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Don't understand why you are turning on defrost when its hot outside, but the ac has nothing to do with it since its all electric and puts no direct load on the engine.

It is pretty clear the engine is not starting quickly and running smooth each time. Have you had to add any coolant?

Try going to Ready in the morning with the radio off. Wait for the engine to start. Listen for a loud rattling and shuddering that goes away after 30-60 seconds. Listen carefully when accelerating from stop lights. Report your observations.

#2 rjparker, Jul 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  3. Soniasmall1021

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I drive my car for work. So the ac was on when it was like 95 out. But then it started raining and the windows got fogged up so I had to turn some warm air on the windows.
    I did have to add some antifreeze like two weeks ago but it has been fine since. The inverter coolant is fine.
    When it was cold a few months ago I was getting a loud rattle when starting. Since, it has just been a very light rattle that lasted a couple of seconds. After I changed the spark plugs it was smooth when starting.
    Will pay a bit more attention when starting tomorrow.
    I drive like at least 100 miles a day for work with constant stop and go and the engine doesn't really get a break for a good 6 hours or so.
    Will try to clean the throttle body and egr valve as soon as I get a clear day without rain.

4. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    What is your location?

5. Soniasmall1021

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Pensacola, Florida

6. Soniasmall1021

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Ok. So I have started the car twice now, and it sounds smooth.

Driving a few hours later it started raining. I turned the fan on medium and for the past hour every time I pull from a stop it hesitates and I have to slam the gas to make it go.
    Will try turning the car off and on now to see what happens

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you might have a head gasket leak starting.

do you follow the maintenance schedule?

do any dash lights come on when it stalls?

have the egr and intake manifold been cleaned?

check the inverter fluid reservoir for movement while the car is ready but the engine is off

8. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I agree. Sounds like a head gasket problem that is rapidly approaching end stage. Unfortunately it is all too common on gen3 Prii, especially 2010-2014. Might want to shop around for an independent hybrid shop who will either replace the head gasket (a significant $2k and up job) or more reliability swap in a used replacement JDM imported engine (maybe the same cost if your lucky).

The best solution on a 2013 is to get a rebuilt engine. These models have flawed pistons and rings which a rebuild resolves. It is an engine out job to rebuild. For reference, Hybrid Pit in California will ship a rebuilt 1.8L for around $2300 total.

Soniasmall1021 likes this.
  9. Soniasmall1021

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I follow the maintenance as far as I know! I take it to the dealer every 10000 miles and get everything they recommend. But this is my first prius.

No dash lights at all.

Have not cleaned the egr or intake manifold yet. While driving today with my husband he Said he thought it might be the mass air flow system since it only does it when it is raining ever since the spark plugs were changed. And the dealer did say that the throttle body needed cleaned.

Will check the fluid tomorrow.
    Thank you for all the questions and suggestions. I sure hope it's not the head gasket! Really can't afford to fix that at this point in time.

bisco likes this.
  10. Soniasmall1021

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    your husband might be onto something, definitely worth a look.

the dealer should have done the mass airflow sensor with the throttle body, but who knows with dealers?
    i would have the coolant loss looked into as well, unless it was very small.

12. Soniasmall1021

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    The coolant loss was a couple weeks ago and it hasn't went down since then.
    I did check the inverter fluid for movement and it was moving. If I'm correct, that is a good thing though, that means the pump is working.

But will update after the maf, throttle and egr get cleaned.

bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's good news.

the o2 sensors under the car might be an issue, idk. i thought they threw codes though.

14. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The coolant should NEVER be low!
    Head gasket................. your doomed..............

15. Soniasmall1021

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Tim Well, I never actually looked to see how much coolant was in the car when I bought it. But what made me check was that the temp light popped on when I was on the expressway. But it flashed on for like 2 seconds and went out But never came back on. It was like 120° and I was doing like 90!! So I checked, saw it was at the low line and put some more in there. That was almost 1 month ago and the level has not changed!

bisco likes this.
  16. Soniasmall1021

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    So we cleaned the throttle, maf, and the egr today.
    To say the least, everything was very gunked up and filthy. Took for a test drive, heard the computer making adjustments, and it runs way better than it has in a while!! Will update in a week or two after more driving!

CR94 and bisco like this.
  17. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What sounds does the computer make when making adjustments?

Tim Jones likes this.
  18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  19. Soniasmall1021

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Well it was more so of the engine high revving for 2 seconds, then low revving for a second, then leveled out!! But from a video I watched, it explained it as the computer making the adjustment from it being so gunned up and open wider than it was supposed to be.

bisco likes this.
  20. Soniasmall1021

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Well, a small update. The car was running fine, until I went to work delivering packages. Stop and go with the ac on and once the hv battery got down to like 3 or 4 bars and I went to pull off from a stop, it did the crazy stalling thing again!!
    I am starting to wonder if it might be the battery.
    I turned the ac off and was able to drive and do the deliveries no problem.
    I have an obd Bluetooth thing coming this week so I can hopefully test the battery with the Dr prius app.