1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Scion FRS Wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by firemechanic, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Setheroth

Setheroth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok! Got them on. As it turns out (no pun intended), I have exactly 5 turns on the nuts after torquing. Gotta be honest - that makes me a but nervous, but there are people here who have been running with these for a couple years now, so I figure I'll be OK.
    They were definitely what I needed to finish my look.. image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

2. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good read. I just bought a set of frs wheels with tpms, caps, and 20k on them for $240. Gotta love Craigslist. Tires are pretty much trashed going to wrap with pirelli p7 a/s plus 205/50/17 tomorrow. Already used links for lugs and spacers.. You guys rock. Cant wait to replace my good4ayear assurance tires. Is highway driving better with less sidewall? Hate the unstable feel behind semis..

privilege likes this.
  3. Setheroth

Setheroth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're in luck - I actually put those exact tires on mine! They make more noise than the old wheel/tire combo, but I'm ok with that. It's not a lot more. Makes a definite difference in how the car drives, though! Much less body lean in the corners.

Any reason you decided on 205/50? I did 225/45 and it's perfect. Exact same tire outside diameter, so your speedo/tach will be 100% accurate, and the 225 gives you a bit wider tire for that extra grip and protection for the wheel.

Just a head's up if you go to a discount tire, they will absolutely NOT put these wheels on your car. They have an issue with the nuts not gripping the lugs enough. (See my above post, you will get slightly less than 5 turns. I'm putting longer studs on mine later this week.)

4. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just went with the smaller width thinking of mpg and since the original wheels were only 195wide.. But now your making me second guess myself... Hmm
    Also.. The 205/50/17 is only .36%different in wheel diameter with a height difference of + .28"

#184 04priusnow, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  5. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Loving the new wheel setup. So much quieter then the last set of tires seems more stable. Will be doing a 1200 mile road trip soon. Cant wait to break these bad boys in. Gas mileage doesn't seem to taken that much of a hit, tough to tell with temperature change...

6. WNav

WNav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Overall I think it dropped the Average to about 2-3mpg. Was already getting at avg 46-48 on it with the stock 15s on about 500-700 miles. Now its dropped it to about 43-45mpg.
    Its probably because of the commute that this car goes thru. There's quite a few hills going back and forth from Valencia to Downtown LA, so it never was able to get over 50mpg on a full tank.

7. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Got 57.5 mpg indicated on a 50 mile trip yesterday with the FRS wheels. Got 52 indicated on the way back. It was very hilly at some points and i took advantage of regen. The rest was intense LA/405 traffic with AC full on.

8. s2kinfinite

s2kinfinite Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello all, I might get a set of these BRZ/FRS Wheels to play around. After reading all 10 pages, I still have one question about which are truely the right lug nuts to use? The acorn's are not truely flat though? OEM Toyota has washer though? All I know is it's definitely NOT OEM BRZ or FRS Nuts which do not have the 1.5 thread. Your confirmation is greatly appreciated.

OEM TOYOTA LUG NUTS?
    [​IMG]

ACORN LUG NUTS?

9. ncases

ncases Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Assuming you are using some spacers for the fitment. Modding is all about safety as well. You might consider changing a longer lug bolts which most priuschat members does. 5 turns is just too short and we don't wanna hear flying frs wheels on the highway.

10. s2kinfinite

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for reply do u have info on your lugnut mod?
    Also could you advise which bolt it is?

11. ncases

ncases Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    im not expert on this and i refrain using spacers due to safety issue. You may ask the forum on this and ask from a fellow members.

12. s2kinfinite

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thx...so back to my initial post if anyone could advise which nuts to use.

13. mshl726

mshl726 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did this swap earlier in the year and I love it. I got the custom 3mm spacers + ring from the fabrication guys in Las Vegas referred in this thread and bought Gorilla acorn-style nuts mentioned on p9 of this thread. Well worth it for a perfect fit and piece of mind.

Bought tires + wheels nearly brand new (90%) for $650 off CL. Adding spacers, lugs and Japanese Toyota center caps, I ended up closer to $850. Sold the stocks for $200 here so overall paid $650.

Stock FRS Bridgestone tires are way more noisy and have very slippery traction. Mileage is down a lot, 49-51 mpg to 43-45 mpg. Highway driving gets about 50-53 mpg so city prob awful. Good trade still IMO for appearance improvement. Can't wait to swap the tires out when the time comes though.

image.jpeg

#193 mshl726, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    s2kinfinite, avusblue and ncases like this.
  14. s2kinfinite

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Cant seem to view your pic.

SGH-I337M ?

15. mshl726

mshl726 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I reposted as a thumbnail, should be fine now. For anyone wondering (this is all covered in detail at the top of pg 8 in this thread), the custom 3mm spacer + hubcentric ring is from Motorsport Tech in Las Vegas.

Buy Adapter | Motorsport Tech

These guys are kind of pricey but make an excellent product. Give them a call and say you're trying to fit FRS wheels on a Prius, they'll already know what you need.

16. s2kinfinite

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Looks great!

17. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Still driving without the hubcentric rings I have sitting on my desk. Too lazy to put them on. All is fine. No vibrations. These are an aid only and as far as I know and can tell, are not necessary providing you use good installation technique when tightening the wheels on.

As far as MPG, over 4 tanks or so, I'm averaging 45 mpg actual, 48 indicated. Prior was roughly 48mpg actual, 51 indicated. So in my situation looks like I lost roughly about 3 mpg. AC is on ALL the time. and I have two amps running (audio). On certain trips, however, (over 100 miles) I am able to average 54mpg+ indicated. Which is probably 50-51 actual. So 50+ is still possible if you are good =)

s2kinfinite likes this.
  18. mshl726

mshl726 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree - on a recent summer road trip (LA to Vegas) we got 53+mpg still. AC blasting and all. The upgrade really kills city mpg, where I get sub-40mpg sometimes!

19. jepsprius23

jepsprius23 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    is it possible to put a 5mm spacers on the rear wheels ? to make it look flush to the fenders....

20. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's possible, but you should change out the studs for longer ones if you do.