1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013: the year PiP challenges Volt in the US?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Matthew Klippenstein, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Matthew Klippenstein

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi all,

I'm a Canadian PiP owner, who's been compiling EV/PHEV sales data online, here. Anyone else wondering whether the PiP could surpass the Volt's sales in the US in 2013? (Oh, Erica! ;) )

From March to December 2012, there were 21,835 Volts sold in the US.

In the same timeframe, the PiP sold 12,729... but was available only in 15 (?) states. I've seen online the claim that these 15 states represent 60% of regular Prius sales.
    With the PiP going on sale in the other 35 US states, if the same sales ratios hold for the PiP, one might expect US sales to be roughly (12,729 x 100 / 60) = 21215. That is, if the PiP was available in all 50 states as of Jan 1.

Which is rather close to the Volt's year-2012 sales number, and is also in line with what Wikipedia reports Toyota's PiP annual sales target is, outside Japan!

-------------

Also of passing interest, as per the spreadsheet, PiP may have been the 3rd-most popular EV in Norway, despite the fact that it wasn't sold there (?) and so all registered PiP's were imported from other countries!

Matthew

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    PiP is gaining strength with more owners finding how efficient it is with both fuels. It also happens to be the cleanest plugin hybrid.

PiP also has the largest cargo volume with a flat floor, even more than higher roof C-Max Energi.

I am loving mine!

3. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you consider some Volt buyers will get PIP once it is available on those states, then 21835-21215=620 is too small a number that Toyota needs to take from Volt sales to win the race.
    628 is about 3% of 21835.

4. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I expect PiP to ultimately have somewhat higher sales volume since it is a bit less expensive to buy ($2,500 less after tax credit), has 25-35% better gas hybrid mileage at the same speed, and has Toyota's rather than GM's name on it.

I expect that Volt sales will continue to be competitive with drivers who want a larger EV range (3.5x), a stronger EV experience (won't start gas engine with charge on the battery except under 15F or 6 weeks of non-use), remote electric pre-heating including when grid connected, telematics on base model (and more features like Internet-accessible efficiency data), 40% faster charging rate at 240V, and better performance and driving characteristics.

Having extensively driven the first two generation Prius models and being reasonably familiar with the details of the PiP, I would still get a Volt today because it matches my requirements better.

Maybe I'll think different next week.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well said. i expect toyota and gm to make improvements along the way including pricing which could also sway sales. and of course, track records and reviews will play some part.

6. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyata, in 2013 The PIP will eclipse the Volt in numbers. As mentioned above, it has the Toyota badge rather than the Chevy badge. That, in itself tells everything. Also, people thinking of purchasing a hybrid, Prius IS the first hybrid that comes to mind. That, for GM, is very hard to over come.

DBCassidy

7. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that as long as Toyota continues to price the PiP at the same (after credits) levels as the Gen 3 liftback it will sell fairly well to the Prius customer base, particularly in places where the PiP qualifies for single occupant HOV lane access, toll road and bridge toll exemptions, and other day to day incentives.

It may also have a stronger appeal to folks who have limited opportunities to charge, like appartment dwellers, who might only have access to short term public charging.

8. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The issue is that we don't know what impact, if any, the new Plug-in cars becoming available next year will have on Prius or Volt sales. The Honda Accord Plug-in, which becomes available January 15, also has a 13 mile EV range and meets SULEV20 emission standards so will be cleaner than the Prius. The Accord Plug-in is priced similar to the PIP Advanced model and comes with a few extras like blind spot monitoring. The Ford Fusion Energi is due out in late January and offers around 20 miles of EV range. Not sure what the price is on this one but the extra EV miles per charge is going to be a big selling point. While I would expect both these to impact sales of the PIP more than the Volt so far the C-Max Energi doesn't appear to have had any impact on PIP sales in the two months it has been available, especially in California where Ford have sold very few.