1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Full Test Review

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Sergiospl, Dec 6, 2012.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Knock it, no way. '13 Avalon hybrid is drop dead gorgeous. Competitors like new Impala Eco are touting 25 city / 35 hwy. Avalon's got that whupped.

2. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Now acdii should test drive the Ford Fusion and the Lexus ES300 hybrid, so we have his full set of comparisons!

3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

:)

Acdii did you test another Fusion from the dealer, other than your own, what mpg did you get there?

4. acdii

acdii Active Member

Yes I did, and the results were not much different than mine. It felt a little easier to get it into EV, but I didnt have the luxury of a long test like I did with the Toyota's, and traffic was too heavy to maintain a steady speed.

As far as the MPG difference, the Camry was only 1.3 MPG under city, and most of the drive I did was over 45 MPH, with only city driving at the beginning to warm up the car. I took both cars on the exact same path, and traffic was pretty much the same for both. It was a 30 minute trip, with hills, so it was a very fair test, and both passed with flying colors. The Avalon didn't hit 40 until near the very end of the trip.

The one thing I found that you can count on, when you test drive a Toyota hybrid, provided you know how to drive a hybrid, you will get the EPA ratings, or get very close to it, but on the Fords, not going to happen.

Since there are no Lexus dealers near by, I wont be able to road test one, but if I could I would.

5. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Whoops, I didn't make the connection between Acdii and the Fusion.

6. acdii

acdii Active Member

LOL not quite infamous yet! :)

7. Willco Electronics

Willco Electronics Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just bought one last week and with 150 miles on the odometer I'm getting 28 mpg but It's probably too new to tell!

8. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it's the original tank from the dealer, you'll want to wait for the second tank. please keep us informed tho, some are considering avalon and 28 would be very disappointing. how do you like it otherwise? thanks!

10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would reset Trip A for every full tank of gas and just follow Trip B on a monthly basis to get a idea about the mpg.

11. acdii

acdii Active Member

Yes, 150 miles is not enough to get an accurate idea what your mileage will be. You have to learn the car, which can take several K miles too. When I road tested one I was able to hit 40 on the dash with it, and it was cold that day too. Then again I was actually trying to get good MPG in it so was playing the game.

12. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1084010_2013-toyota-avalon-hybrid-gas-mileage-drive-report

13. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A better comparison for TAH is with the Fusion hybrid. It is rated the same as C-Max hybrid but the real world MPG is a bit higher from what I've seen.

NiMh triumphs over Lithium. I know, I know, it is not only about the battery but the entire car.

15. rico567

rico567 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I think we're probably in "that demographic" everyone is dancing around, and we're in the market and are going to buy a new car this year. Both my spouse and I are in our late '60s, and we wouldn't even consider buying a $40K car, let alone a $44K car, having already rejected the idea of the Honda PHEV on those grounds. Do we have the money? Yes. Do we regard the Avalon Hybrid as a good use of that money? No. We've driven a number of new cars (Outback, Prius 'v', VW Passat TDI, ICE Accord, and Ford Fusion Hybrid, and there are any number of comfortable, safe, efficient vehicles in that "family sedan" size for $35K. To us, the Avalon would be throwing thousands down a rathole, about buying a Lincoln MKZ instead of the Ford Fusion Hybrid. (I suppose at this point I'm supposed to insert some self-effacing Internet acronym like "IMHO" or "YMMV." How about no.)

And I understand our TV remote just fine, and have no trouble configuring our home wi-fi network, router and all. Imagine that.

austingreen likes this.
  16. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you do not drive large distances each year or have many very short drives, I agree. I drive at least 55 miles any time I get in my car and do 30,000 miles a year, so operating costs trump capital expenditure.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    to each his own, that's why there are so many models.;)

18. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Bubs, I mean Rico....love your avatar!

19. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't believe those reviewers all that much. C&D tells you clearly they are driving it not like a hybrid owner. CR just is just a whacky bad test.

Internet polls are rife with self selection, so you likely will be different, but here is fueleconomy.gov
    Compare Side-by-Side
    in order of reported fuel economy they go
    fussion hybrid 39.3 > c-max 38.8 > camry hybrid 38.5 >avalon hybrid 37.3

The fords seem to do better in the city, the toyota on cruise control over 60mph.YMMV.

Not much between these. If you want a avalon hybrid I would not let fuel economy stop you, its really good unless you compare it to a prius. The camry and fusion hybrids are less expensive and use a little less gas.